Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Any Regrets about having or not having surgery?

My surgery is not scheduled until May for the removal of fibroids and cyst if it is still there.  I have had 2 uneventful cycles since having the pain that sent to the doctors in the first place.  I am now wondering if I really need to do anything.  I have for the most part been symptomatic since my periods started.  I just don't know what to do.  My mother had a hysterectomy due to heavy bleeding and she has also had breast cancer.  I am 38 so I have a lot of time for the fibroids to grow.  I don't want to not do anything and then possibly regret that decision later.  How many of you may have had an opportunity to intervene with your fibroids but chose not to and then later possibly had to have a more radical surgery?
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had my uterus removed at 35 for fibroids and endo.  I thought that would cure the endo but now am finding out that as long as you still have ovaries you can still have endo.  Anyway, I was done having kids and so it was a fairly easy decision.  I never regretted it.  Tomorrow my ovaries go~  Hope I feel the same way about them!  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Thank you.  I am interested in the connection, as I am on unoppposed ERT at the moment.  I may be reconsidering that.
I think the question you asked the forum is a very valid one. I will be interested to see the responses.
I myself wonder if my cyst would have resolved itself if they had taken a more "watch and wait" stance. Although my ovary was not 100% healthy, it had been working, as I had no menopause and I had regular periods. Why don't they just biopsy these things and/or follow more non-drastic options...
Like Dian says, doctors are not gods, they are only human.  We need to trust our own instincts. I think I may have allowed myself to be talked into this radical surgery. Keep reading and keep asking questions!
Love and best wishes, Katie

Helpful - 0
I am 33 and had a sub total hysterectomy which left the ovaries due to severe hyperplasia. If I were you I would inquire about removing the fibroids and cyst and having them biopsied. I have had numerous problems since surgery. For myself I wish they would have taken an all or nothing approach as I am waiting for tvus results and probably more surgery (ovaries). I feel that my hysterectomy messed up the hormone balance. Good luck with your decison get 2nd opinion and god bless.
Helpful - 0
i have hyterectomy at 24 for endo and had ovaries removed multiple times and still have endo problems ans chronic pain
Helpful - 0
cip
I too had a complex cyst and fibroids, heavy bleeding etc. Also, I am 52. I also had an elevated CA125, tested several times. I didn't want invasive surgery, unless I was a big cancer risk. Athough my risk was assessed as low 3 docs recommended a total hysterectomy. I didn't feel good about their rationale. I went for pre op testing. I got the results of my CA 125 - it was normal. I cancelled the surgery, against the recommendation of 2 doctors. I went to a new gyn who came highly recommended. He did an ultrasound in his office. My cyst was resolved (totally). He said he was "unimpressed" with my pathology - there was nothing there except fibroids -which 40% of women have. I had NO surgery and am happy about it. I have a follow up in 1month with this doc. Trust your gut, do research, that it what felt best to me. Good luck!
Helpful - 0
I believe the breast cancer came first.  Will double check but I am pretty sure the breast cancer was detected before the hysterectomy.
Helpful - 0
May I ask, after your mother's hysterectomy, how long after did she develop breast cancer?  (sorry to hear about that as well).  I wonder if she took Premarin or other hormones after her hysterectomy?
Thank you, Katie
Helpful - 0
I just read MickeyVicki's response to the question below this one and I could fall into that same boat I guess in that perhaps I have caught a potential problem early on.  That would be a good thing.  I just wish I could find that crystal ball!!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.