Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Home from surgery!!

I'm home!!!!   Feeling like a just went ten rounds in a boxing ring.  But the good news is that this does not appear to be ovca.  Doc did not do a frozen section in the OR which surprised me but she said they only do it if it looks like it - otherwise wait for the final pathology (friday).  But apparently there was endo everywhere.  My right ovary was twisted and attached to something else.  They had to do four incisions instead of two because of all the junk.  Was anyone else really swollen after surgery?  I mean your whole body?  My left arm and hand and my face are very puffy.  The nurse who ran the IV missed it the first time in my right arm - and she missed it bad - so that is swollen  but I don't know if that is why the rest of me is.
Thanks for all the love, prayers and support.  You are all amazing people.  
Love you all,
Deb
p.s.  will have lots of questions on hormones but they can wait till tomorrow!
13 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Debi.  You perfectly describe how I'm tinkling too.  Now a new added attraction to the weirdness.  I'll suddenly have the urge to go, real bad, can't make it to the potty without a little leakage in my pants (thank God I'm still wearing pads since the ablation), then I get to the potty and there's no more, at all.

Raynbow, I feel for you girl. . . take your electric blankie in the bathroom with you, set your feet in some nice warm water, bring a good book too, and put some Crystal Light lemonade in your stuff and it's a little easier.  I also found that when I was done with the prep, it helped to take a short nap, with my electric blanket, if you have time.

Take care, love, hugs and God bless, Barb
Helpful - 0
You should be concerned with the fluid retention; please do express your concern to your pyhsician.
Still; what wonderful news!  No cancer.....wow....what a relief to you and your entire family!

Your news put a smile on my face...thanks.
Peace to you and yours.
dian
Helpful - 0
I'm glad you came through okay. You are correct about the arm being puffy, I have had several IV's infiltrate on me.
I will be doing my bowel prep tomorrow, and I'm a "gagger" so I hope I will keep it down. My father-in-law will be here then, oughta' be an interestin' night! LOL
Anyway, how did you remember all the stuff they found? Did you write it down or something? I think I will give dh and mama some paper to scribble on when the doc talks with them.
Happy Healing!
(((Raynbow
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the info - that helps.  I think I will metion it when the doc calls this am (she said she would).  My eyes are almots swollen shut they are so puffy. As are my feet and hands.  I have started to tinkle (that just sounds so much nicer then pee) a bit more but it feels weird and doenst seem to be streaming out but rather, well, tinkling out~  The puffiness is very bothersome!
Thanks
Helpful - 0
121033 tn?1202886794
Great to have you home! Sorry I can't help with the puffiness or tinkling but I'm sure someone will be along soon. I just wanted to say glad it all looks like good news and to add that you are so lucky to be blessed with such a beautiful, thoughtful son! What a good lad!!
Helpful - 0
82818 tn?1206989814
I'm so happy it wasn't ovca.May your recovery be fast and painless.
Helpful - 0
I'm thrilled for you that everything went well and no ovca.  What a relief for you.  How wonderful that your son brought you flowers - they really turn out okay don't they? (the kids I mean).  My 17 year old daughter has been sitting by my side every night - she keeps asking me if I'm scared and wants to take Thursday off school so that she can be with her dad while I'm in surgery.  
Hope you're feeling 100% in a short while.  Spice
Helpful - 0
Hi Debi.  Glad your done.

Speaking of tinkling. . . I've been experiencing that myself a little since my ablation last week.  What the doctor has said is my kidneys might be a little upset with me because of all the junk that got thrown in there so quickly.  I had the ablation on Thursday, but Monday of the same week I had a CT scan with the barium soothie and contrast dye.  On top of that, on antibiotics and taking pain meds and already dehydrated from bleeding and diarehea. . . my kidneys and liver got a little annoyed by that.  But everything is beginning to come out okay again.  My face, feet, ankles, knees and hands were pretty swollen.  Keep drinking plenty of plain water.  But if it goes on for more than a few days, let the doctor know.

And of course when do my kidneys decide to start functioning properly again???  Out at a soccer game where I've got to walk to completely the otherside of the field, in the cold wind and rain, and use a Porta Potty. . .

Love, hugs adn God bless, Barb
Helpful - 0
Welcome home and welcome back.  I am glad that dx was good!!
Helpful - 0
Thanks all of you for all your support.  One question for you have had the surgery - and it is a bit delicate~  How much should I be tinkeling?  I was very dehydrated when I went in from the colon prep (long story but I have a horrible time with it - kept vomiting the stuff up when I would try to drink it).  So they put five litres of fluid in me starting at about 12:30 and since then I have only "given back" about a half of a cup.  They said in the surgery when I had the cathater that nothing came out then.  I am wondering if that has anything to do with the face puffiness - though I do agree the others can be adhesive - I know I am alergic to that and I did ask for paper tape.  Anyway, just wondering about the tinkeling.  BTW, my 17 year old son just brought me flowers.  Ain't life grand???!!!
Helpful - 0
So thrilled you're home, puffy but safe! You must be so relieved that the surgery part is over. It definitely sounds like good news - you needed some of that!
Let everybody pamper you now for a while and check in and chat when you feel up to it!
Robin
Helpful - 0
Yeah!   I am not surprised about the lack of a frozen section. My doctor told me that the ovca usually appears very clearly, as does the endo and other cyst conditions,  and that the process of bagging the cysts and other tissues to be removed keeps these cells from being spread around the abdomen anyway.

You have likely had a mild reaction to the anesthesia, the tubing (or other latex products they might have used,) or, more likley,  to the adhesives used  to tape everything in place.  The halo tube is taped around your mouth and throat to hold it in place so that it can propery feed your lungs with the air mix,  also various tubes for IVs are taped to your arms, and so on.  If the swelling gets worse, then go to the ER, stat.

Otherwise, relax and get well soon!
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
So glad to hear you are back home.  Don't worry about the swelling, it will go away.  Sounds like a great prognosis!!  You get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids.  Welcome to the RS:-)  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.