Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Lymph nodes - does this sound right?

The doctor said they didnt remove any of my moms lymph nodes.

He said if it looked like the cancer was confined to the ovary then he would have removed and tested them to make sure it didnt spread.  But he said in my moms case they know it had already spread so it was a moot point and they didnt remove any nodes.  He did say he looked at and felt them all and they all looked/felt fine.

Does this make sense?  I guess it does, I just wanted to run it by you all.

Thank you.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
82818 tn?1206989814
You can't go wrong with a second opinion. If any thing for the peace of mined. God Bless. Many prays from Florida.
Helpful - 0
110491 tn?1274481937
Same with me...cancer had spread but lymph nodes looked fine. I guess they remove them if they are enlarged (containing a tumor). But it doesn't mean they don't contain microscopic traces of cancer - that's what the chemo is for.
Helpful - 0
Yes, this medical decision is very common.  There can be unpleasant consequences to removing lymph nodes - removal can impede the flow of fluids through the lymphatic system, and  result in swelling and discomfort. So, when the doctors already know the cancer has spread, this biopsy procedure is skipped in order to spare the patient any complications.
Helpful - 0
Thanks, Mickey.  But if one or more nodes looked funny and was suspected of being cancerous then he would have removed those right?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.