Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Surgery on Friday

I want to thank you for all of the information on this site. It's left me feeling better about things.I will be having a lapratomy (sp?) on Friday afternoon. I am not so worried about what they will find but the surgery itself.I've never had major surgery before.Apparently the surgeon is going to start with a D&C and have a piece of my uterus examined while he then removes my left ovary with the large cyst on it. He said he'd then remove the uterus itself due to a thickening and heavy bleeding I have. He said he'd try to leave 1/3 of the cervix depending on the results of the findings.Also whether or not he leaves my right ovary depends on what it looks like and what the frozen biopsy thing says. That too will determine what else needs to be removed.I really don't know much about these things. Does this sound like the normal route of things? Apparently I'll be in the hospital for 4 days or so. Today I am on some narcotic pain meds but am feeling really nauseated and think I'd rather deal with the pain than the nausea. I do not throw up well! Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Maraekath
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
No, I've never been through any surgery besides my tonsils out when I was five years old and last year I had a surgical breast biopsy that was scary enough. I'm petrified of this but I know there is no way around it.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Welcome to the site.  Sounds like you are prepared.  Glad you found the site and the answers that you were looking for.  Perhaps you need to eat something prior to taking the pain meds.  They can make you feel sick.  You are in my thoughts and prayers and I look forward to hearing from you on the Recovery Side.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.