Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

'Presumed' ovarian cyst on CT

I have seen on a CT report that I have an ovarian cyst that is 3.6 cm in size.  Radiologist states that it is "difficult to completely characterize without IV contrast".  The ordering physician is a urologist who gave me the report in an envelope without discussing it with me.  It also shows "probable" kidney cyst 13mm and bilateral kidney stones.  He told me in our appointment that my CT scan was normal--he failed to mention the kidney cyst or the ovarian cyst during our appointment--only the stones.  I am 44 and had a hysterectomy in 2000.  I was supposed to have both ovaries left intact, and the CT doesn't even show the right ovary ("not visualized").  I have left a message with urologist, and he is not returning my calls.  Should I be concerned??
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi, welcome to this site.
Your report states that it was hard to characterize the cyst. Cat scans aren't always the best to determine details on a cyst. A vaginal ultrasound is the best method for doing this. A cyst is categorized as either a simple cyst, a complex cyst (mixed fluid and solid) or a solid cyst. You really need to find out which type it is. A simple cyst usually resolves on it's own in a month or two. Complex and solid cysts don't usually disappear on their own, although it has happened (and happened to some of the women on this forum!). Complex and solid cysts are usually more suspicious and have to be followed closely or removed. IT could be that the cyst appears to be a simple one, although from the sounds of your report, they said it could not be characterized. If I were you, I'd call the doctor and tell him you want a vaginal ultrasound done. He should be in agreement to do this as it is an expensive, easy test to do. He should be following up on this. If he doesn't agree, you need to find another doctor, or get an ob/gyn involved.  Just my humble opinion, but we've all learned that it's easy to get lost in the shuffle and forgotten by doctors. You have to stand up for yourself and your body and find out what's going on. We're all here for you and will try to answer any questions you have. Hang in there!
Robin
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Welcome to the site.  Let me assure you that 99% of ovarian cysts are BENIGN.  I really think that you should get a 2nd opinion.  It seems that the dr. was a bit cold!!  Anyway, 2nd opinions never hurt.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
I am sure they did your scan without contrast because they were looking for a stone.  However, contrast is most important if you want to look at the organs. Sometimes the ovaries are so small that they cannot be visualized.  Same as true on u/s, somtimes bowel gas can hide a small ovary.   Be persistant and ask the questions you need answered from your doctor.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.