Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Question for livertrans

Hope you read this post as my husband just told me something that freaked me out a bit.  He didn't want to tell me yesterday as I was still fresh into the RS but I am seeing the doctor tomorrow and wanted me to ask.  The doctor showed him pictures of my liver and it had white spots on it.  She said it looked like scarring of some sort but was very vague about it.  She never said anything to me and as far as I know my liver fundtion tests have always been normal.  But when I had radio iodine for thyroid cancer last year my liver lit up pretty good.  Do you know anything about what would cause white spots.  He said it was almost like a clouding or film over areas of the liver - like a watery white color.  The only thing he said the doctor said is that whenever I have blood drawn I should make sure they test my liver functions.  I am a bit freaked by it.  Thanks for any input.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If you feel like will you let me know what the doc says?  I am always interested in learning about different things.  Probably because of all the years I worked in health care.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the info.  My husband said he asked specifically about cirrhosis and the doc said no nothing like that.  He saw the picture and said it was like several areas of white film or coating over the liver.   She said it was possibly from all the surgery I have had but I can't imagine how that would affect the liver.  Anwway, I guess I will know tomorrow.  Thanks again for answering.  And I am glad your situation is getting better and the transplant is something you are able to wait on.  What a stress for you~
Helpful - 0
What I forgot to add was that when I had the radioisotope test no one was concerned with my lack of liver function so I assume it has no ill affects.  Even with all my problems, in the last three years my liver function tests have gotten down to a bit above normal.  The doctors say I could live like this for years with out a transplant.  I'd be quite happy not to have the transplant as it is nasty surgery and the antirejetions drugs are actually slightly toxic to your body. If you liver functions tests are ok, as you said, it may just be something for them to monitor.  It is better to know about some of these things and keep an eye on them.  If I was not being US ed for my liver they would not have found my complex cyst until heavens only knows when.  Good luck at the doc's
Helpful - 0
The only thing that I can think of ( not assuming that weight is a problem for you) is that some people get what they call fatty livers.  I don't know about the treatment that you had for you thyroid, though.  I know that I have had tests for cardiac function with radioisotopes.  These have some radioactive component because if you are flying in the two weeks following the test you are supposed to get a letter from the hospital stating that you had this test.  I guess it sets off some of securities alarms, or something.
My liver problems are chirrosis.  Apparently your liver function has to be down to about 10% before you get symptoms of it.  Have you ever had any drugs for cholesterol?  My husband reacted to one and had elevated liver function tests for a year after before they went back to normal .  Hope this helps a bit.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.