Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Please help me

My mother called me last night and told me that during her second opinion the doctor told her that he didn't see anything on the side of her liver. He saw something on her left side. No idea what that could be. She will undergo the microscopic surgery through her belly button. Has anyone gone through this? She has to have another CT scan to really pin point the mass. How can one doctor tell her he sees it in the liver and the second one can't really see it on the CT scan. He's not ruled it out, but wouldn't you see it if the first doctor sees it? I'm so confused and it's an emotional rollercoaster from so far away. Please can someone shed me some light. Our household is falling apart as we don't know if we are getting the full story. She will undergo chemo daily for 6 mths. I want to know what medication that would be, would anyone know what would be administered? THANK you and you are all in my heart!! This is no fun
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You, your mom, and the rest of your family are indeed in for quite a fight.
With a CA125 of 4000 your mom is facing a real battle, but she has you to help her in this battle.
As Raven said yesterday, the one thing in your favor is the fact that the cancer has not spread to her lungs. Still, having it spread to the liver is worrisome to say the least.
You mentioned a variety of treatment options available to her and her doctors....that is encouraging....there is promising data involving the direct deposit of chemo drugs into the perotineal cavity...the treatment trials are also a positive option. I understand the daily administration of chemo is not as tough physically as the every three week mega dosage....that is great!
This disease is ugly...we all know it will probably recurr....we live with that fact....we must stay proactive and positive in our continous battle to beat the beast.  
Your mom is a strong woman....made stronger than she probably ever wanted to be by dealing with this disease.....if she can beat this she will......one thing for certain.....she like the rest of us will continue to both fight and live with the beast.
All you can do is be strong with her.....let your daughters know how brave and strong their gramma is.....and wrap your mom in love and your pride in and for her.
Please come back and talk again.
I wish Peace for you and your mom, and family.
dian
Helpful - 0
I spoke to her yesterday...and she saw Doctor #2 and he claims he won't rule out the spread to the liver, but sees nothing on that side. He does however see something on the left side (opposite). It's very strange. He also doesn't understand why the cervix was not taken out during the surgery?? I am assuming her CA125 of 4000 is very very bad. I read on the net that it's considered to be Stage IV phase. They recommended she gets the microscope through the belly to see if it's under her stomach and then they shoot it with chemo directly to debulk. Does that sound right?They are also talking about putting the disc under her skin in the breastbone to insert an IV to allow 24 hour chemo for 2 weeks. That lasts for 6 mths. Has anyone had this? Are there success stories as I'm worried that it will drain her. Yes, I'm worried as I do live quite far from her. Thank you all so much for your support, I love this site!
Helpful - 0
Hey, kiddo...sorry it took me so long to get here.
Raven Lady was right....I experienced much the same thing as your mom.
I was diagnosed last April with ovarian cancer.  I went through 6 months of chemo, and everything seemed to be going well.
My follow-up check after chemo scared the hell out of all of us, including my oncologist.....seemed the MRI showed there was a spot on the liver..and if that wasn't bad enough...it was in-operable.
To make a long story short....after two ultrasounds, multiple radiology consults....there was nothing there except a fatty deposit.....absolutely nothing wrong with the liver.
Perhaps I missed something.....your mom is scheduled for more chemo because of the spot on the liver....... or her CA125....why is she back in chemo?
I just re-read your last post.  It was after they thought they could see a spot on my liver (CT scan) that an MRI and two  additional ultrasounds were ordered. It took comparing all of those tests for them to understand exactly what they were looking at....and,in the end, the radiologists were depending on the skills of the technician to get good angles in the pictures.
I know it's not easy...but, you have to wait for all the test results to be able to know what is going on.
I agree...you need to tell your daughters something about the situation....I am certain they already sense something is wrong.
So far as making plans...just follow your mom's lead...you two are obviously close....she'll let you know what her needs and desires are.
Take a deep breath, and try to find Peace in the love you have for your mom and daughters. Please stay in touch....we are here for you, your mom, and your daughters!
dian
Helpful - 0
Maybe with this next scan things will become clearer and they will find the right solution for your Mom. I know that it is hard to digest all this its like your in the Twilight Zone but be strong and hang in there. Keep us updated as I just had a chemo yesterday I will not be online for a couple of days so I will be praying for Mom and family...
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
SM you are in my thoughts and prayers.  We will be here for you.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.