Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

to Soniek re MRSA

Hi Sonie.  I don't know how much help this will be, but let me tell you what I know.  Last Sunday I noticed a mark on my daughter's leg (red with a pus filled indentation).  I tried hot packing it, but after two days, decided to bring her to doc.  Doc was a bit nervous because her fear was that it could be MRSA, otherwise staph celluitis.  They took a culture (last Wed) and tried to drain it a bit (very painful).  The doc then prescribed her Septra (oral med. know to treat MRSA - sulfer based, also used for UTI's) and bactroban (topical cream).  Her feeling was to treat it as if it were MRSA, just in case.  She also told me to give her a clorox soak.  She said clorox (mixed with water , about a sinkful to one capful of clorox)will help bring the pus out.  My daughter was not at the point of severe (she had no fever, and the abscess was somewhat contained), so there was not the same sense of urgency.  Anyway, I did not get the results of the culture back unitl yesterday (8 days later).  It came back as staph, but fortunately not MRSA.  However, the doc did insist that diligently doing the clorox and bactroban would have helped the MRSA, as well.  She also told me if IV was needed, it is very effective.  It might take a bit longer if the staph is more severe, but it is treatable, usually with little , to no, complications.  I hope this might help even a little.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hi there!thank-you for this post...did they tell you she could continue to have outbreaks with this??this is what i have been told...also.do you know how different it is when you have mrsa on the inside,as opposed to the skin??thanks...sonie
Helpful - 0
All I was told is that when it is beyond topical, it can spread throughout the region.  For instance, if it started in the top of the leg, you "could" wake up the next day with it down your whole leg. I believe that once you have been on the antibiotic, though, that it is usually contained to the area.  Also, remember, if it is through an abscess on the skin, you can reinfect yourself, so it is important not to handle the wound without gloves or wash your hands VERY thoroughly.  Everything it has come in contact with (mainly bedding, towels) needs to be washed in hot water and dried in a dryer to insure the bacteria has been eliminated.  Key things to watch out (I was told) would be fever, redness that is beyond initial site, and vomiting.  Outside of that, it is just the tedious task of waiting for the antibiodic to do its job.  My daughter's wound is still not closed, and hers was relatively small, so it can take a while.  Hang in there.  I am sure you are frustrated, but you are strong.  You will get through this, too :)
Helpful - 0
My grandmother had mrsa in a bed sore.  They tried to treat her with Vancomycin.  Did they try to remove any thru debridment?
Helpful - 0
I went and read your post from this morning.  They can swab the lining of your nose and your families nose to see if they have contracted it.  I had to ahve mine and my mother had to have hers done.  No one had it- so it goes to show that it really isn/t all that contagious so to speak.  Its just the contact with the actual pus and sore that you want to avoid sharing.  I feel for you- you have reallly been put thru the test with this.  That is why hand wshing is so important in the hospital environment.
Helpful - 0
Xrayu2 is right.  I was told that the bacteria is carried topically and in your nose, but not everyone gets infected.  In order to spread it, you would need an opening (like a scratched bug bite, or in your case, an incision), so it is not too easy to spread.  I was told that I need to be most concerned with younger children (who touch everything!) or someone who has compromised immune system.
Helpful - 0
Good info here:

http://www.mrsainfection.org/
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.