Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

New here--Question about post chemo joint pain

Hi everyone.  I was diagnosed in June 2005 with IIIc ovc and completed 6 rounds of taxol/carboplatin November 8th, 2005. It was a very rocky course with many complications but it was worth it as I was blessed to get down to 7 with my CA125.  It's been slow in getting back on my feet.  My latest struggle is with hip and knee pain which seems to be getting worse.  I'm ok when I'm up and about, the difficulty is with getting out of the chair and going up and down the stairs.  Anyone have anything similar to this?  My gyn/onc says he's never heard of this which I kind of find hard to believe but what do I know?  I've never had chemo before!  I've decided to see an orthopedic surgeon this week so we'll see if he has any thoughts.

By the way, I'm 52 y/o and have always been fit and healthy until this past year.  I was surprised as anyone else to be diagnosed with this beast but I'm encouraged, especially as I read some of the wonderful posts on this site.  Looking forward to sharing more with you.

Christa
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I was diagnosed in 2004 with breast cancer.  Did mastectomy, did chemo...and STILL have lower body joint pain.  Mostly ankles.  Hoping it might get better when I am done with Arimedex...one more year.  I just keep moving...seems to be bad after sitting or sleeping (the first 5 minutes up, then it gets better).  Any remedies in the mean time?
Helpful - 0
thank you both for your comments.  It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one.  Sometimes I feel like that when my doctor just looks at me strangely and just brushes off my comments.  I am trying to exercise and it seems that being active may be a key to managing the pain.
Helpful - 0
I also have intense knee pain and some hip pain, knee pain being the worse. My Dr. say this can happen and it is from the Taxol, the short time I was in remission going to the gym did help!! Since I am in treatment again I never really had the time to see how much of it was going to go away.
Helpful - 0
hi.

First thing I have to make clear - I know nothing

Second thing, I'm male.....been on site enquiring about wife.

Lots of helpful people here.

As I say, I know nothing but saw your question and found a site called www.chemocare.com If you go their page

http://www.chemocare.com/managing/pain_its_symptoms_and_its_relationship.asp

this does seem to indicate joint pain as a potential side effect.

Hope that might help or at least give you a starting point for inevstigating further.

Best wishes
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.