Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hair Loss

ok hair loss can be a very emotional issue - particularly for a woman.  My mom is getting very upset because she knows she will lose her hair and no matter what wig she gets, it will never be perfect.

Im not trying to minimize her feelings...this must be very traumatic for her.  But Im afraid she will focus so much on that and get depressed...I want her to concentrate all her energy on beating this thing.

Like I said, I dont want to minimize her feelings, but I dont know what to do for her.

Maybe some of you ladies who have gone through this can give me some perspective and tell me the "right" things to say or do to comfort my mom.

Thank you.
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Alan,   you can look in the yellow pages or on the internet for salons/shoppes that deal with issues facing women with cancer.  A cancer treatment center could probably make some suggestions.  For example,  one of our local cancer treatment facilities  has a shop in the building.  The shop specializes in providing wigs, turbans, scarves, and the like for women who have lost their hair, as well as prosthetics and support undergarments for women who have needed mastectomies.  A client walking in the door of this shop is greeted  by a female shopping assistant who most often is a cancer survivor herself.  Thus, the sale staff completely understand the  cancer patient,   and know how to cope with these special issues.  

If you think that your mother would hesitate to go to such a shop, then purchase gift certificates or even make an appointment and make it a surprise for her.
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
For me, the hardest part in the whole process was losing my hair.  In fact, when I was laying in recovery after surgery and the doctor came to my bedside to tell me it was, in fact, cancer and would require chemo, that was the first question out of my drug induced groggy mouth..."Am I going to lose my hair?"  You are right, it is a traumatic experience for some people.  I started chemo three weeks post-op, and it started coming out about a week later.  So there I was being forced into surgical menopause and wearing my emotions on my sleeve anyway, and the thought I dreaded most, going bald, was facing me square in the face.  I cried for three solid weeks!  I had long curly strawberry blonde hair, so when it came apparent I had no hope in keeping it, I donated it to Lock of Love. That was something that helped me deal with the loss.  The stylist left a cute short haircut because she could not bring herself to shave my head.  But that lasted about three days.  It was coming out by the handful, so it was time to shave it.  I called my dad to come over with his clippers.  He and my DH took turns taking swipes.  We tried to laugh making different styles and shapes on my head...and of course, it ended with a mohawk!  But I later learned when he was finished, my dad went back out to his car to leave, and sat in my driveway crying.  He said it was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do because he knew it hurt me so much.  But you know the greatest lesson I learned?  The thought of losing my hair was much worse than actually losing it.  Once it was gone, it gave me incentive to concentrate on my healing.  Goal number one was to finish chemo to get better.  But a coming in a close second was finish chemo so my hair would grow back.  I finished chemo 12 weeks ago, and have about 1/3 inch growth now.  It's a slow process, but when I take my hat off every day, I see a difference and smile that much wider.    

You'd be surprised at the styles of hats out there made just for people with hair loss.  They fit tighter to the head, and cover the head completely.  I got a couple of wigs, but I never wore them because for me, they are too hot and itchy.  But some women prefer them.  I agree with Mickey.  There are shops that specialize in styles for chemo patients with sales associates who are very sensitive to the customer.  Just remember, hair loss due to chemo is temporary.  Bottom line?  This too shall pass.  
Helpful - 0
It's interesting how each of us react to our hair loss.  I was so keyed into getting through the chemo that I didn't focus at all on losing my hair.  My biggest concern was dealing with the nausea and vomiting that I heard about--literal horror stories.  When it came time shave my head, my husband had me lean over our tub as I watched the hair fall off in clumps.  I started feeling emotional about this and by the time I looked at myself in the mirror I had completely broken down into tears.  I do believe looking at my shaved head brought a newfound reality to my ovc.

But there is a sweet side to my story.  Unbeknownst to me, I found my dear hubby shaving his own head so that he could walk through this journey beside me in the only way he knew how.  So we went through treatment together as two baldies.  Now that my hair has started to grow back, he's allowing his to grow back as well.  This gesture really touched my heart and solidified the closeness in our marriage.

So it was tough for me, too, but I think I just reminded myself that my hair would come back eventually.  I wore lots of little caps and occasionally a wig.  It's just something that you come to accept.
Helpful - 0
Oh, you brought tears to my eyes. My 21 year old niece had a baby on Dec 7 and just before delivery she was given the news that her cross match showed acute lukemia! She has undergone many rounds of chemo and of course lost her beautiful blonde hair. But she took it like a trooper and is very beautiful with her bald head. It is growing back now and she is fiercely protective of her new fuzz! She has given me much hope for the unlikely event that my tumor will turn out to be the 1% that are malignant. I know that when I think of her, I will be able to accept hair loss and concentrate on getting better. Your dad sounds like a wonderful person!
Michelle
Helpful - 0
Ah man....I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face reading all your stories of courage and strength. I'm so touched by your willingness to share your pain in order to help others cope with theirs.  You ladies ROCK!
Helpful - 0
I'm with Poke...lump in throat and welled up eyes.  Amazing people.  
  gah, your dad going outside to his truck just really got to me...there's something about a dad breaking down that just gets me.  
Bless you all.
Helpful - 0
I've lost my hair twice now - 2nd chemo course currently.  The 1st time was the unknown but I found a blonde wig - never been blonde in my life! - got lots of attention and compliments - made it much easier.  People have to decide 'to wig or not wig' as the saying goes, but once you make the decision it's much simpler.  Kept me warm in cold weather - bald is cold! I could also get 'dressed up' and never had a bad hair day.   I also have my trusty friend - a pink wollen hat with a soft inner and a bobble which I wore through surgery, chemo and post chemo in and out of bed.  It's very comforting as well as comfortable and when I've had enough of my wig I put it on in the evening.  I found losing my eyebrows and eyelashes a bit more difficult, but they do go last and come back first.  My new hair fuzz post chemo grew into quite a decent very short haircut which my kids told me to keep and not go back to my old style - said it looked younger and more stylish.  It's a mixed bag and not easy - standing under the shower when the hair is coming out was the worst bit for me.  You have to look on the bright side - no leg shaving, no facial hair, no hair styling bills, no shampoo to buy !!  Don't make a big deal of it is my advice, concentrate on the treatment and see it as badge of honour.  All my best wishes.
Helpful - 0
110491 tn?1274481937
I dreaded losing my hair so much but when it started falling out 10 days after the first treatment, on my 43rd birthday at that, I didn't mind too much. Had it shorn off the next day. Got two wigs but on colder days just wear a hat. Losing eybrows and eyelashes is awful because it gives you this ghostly cancer look. Can't wait for those to come back.

I just get mad when I look in the mirror...which is good because it awakens my fighting spirit.
Helpful - 0
121033 tn?1202886794
WOW!! The tears are running down my face too - not because I'm sad but because your stories are so beautiful. These real stories about real people have to be such inspiration to those who are just beginning the journey and searching for understanding and support!
Helpful - 0
Losing my hair the second time was emotional again, not really alot you can say!! HUGS speak volumes and feel good too!!
Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
Poke, you said it ...To the women who wrote in...I, too, am so touched by your willingness to share your pain in order to help others cope with theirs. I could not have said it better.

After I got my diagnosis, I did not know if it was caught early enough so that only surgery would be needed, or if I would be facing chemo as my father had (lymphoma) years earlier. An acquaintance of mine called when she heard that I was facing surgery for ovc. I did not know her that well; we took classes together for our Masters program. She offered comfort when she told me that the wig she had used (breast cancer) was all mine if ever needed it. I will never forget her warm gesture. I feel that warmth again tonight as I read these stories.

Reaching out; comforting each other; sharing the heartaches and joys in our lives. This is an amazing and peaceful place. Mary

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.