Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

When is a cyst too big for laproscopic surgery?

Just wondering when a cyst is too big to do it laproscoptic?  

does it depend on the kind of cyst?

14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i have a 10cm cyst on my left ovary and my doctor had his nurse call my to schedule a precedure to drain the cyst.  The nurse state that the precedure will go as;  a ct scan will be done twice then the radiologist will drain the cyst.  I dont like the fact that the radiologist is doing it and not my doctor.  I thought the precedure was serious.  I have to stay in the hospital for 2-4 hrs after for precausions.  I looked up this precedure and who is to do this type of precedure and cant find anything.  All i see is laproscopic surgery or ultrasound procedure.  Would anyone have more info? The precedure is called ct guided ovarian cyst drainage.
Helpful - 0
Hi everyone,

Iam hoping somone can help me because Iam REALLY scared.I was diagnosed with can 10cm cyst on my ovarary and I see the doctor on the first of June for my consult.Iam praying that it can be done laproscopically,I hate the thought of surgery.If anyone has any advice or words of encouragement I would greatly apprciate more than you know.Thank you!
Helpful - 0
Hi i'm Tammie, Female 26 years old. I have a 14 cm ovarian cyst on my left ovary & will most likely have to get it removed. Does the operation hurt? How long are u in there for? And will the scare be big? I really want to keep my ovary. Dont want any scares!! Any answers would be wonderful.

Thanks Tam :-)
Helpful - 0

I had an 11cm cyst and left ovary removed by Laproscopic surgery nearly 6 weeks ago.  I have one stitch line about 2.5 inches on the left and then the other two are about an inch each.  My doctor told me that they try to drain as much as they can from the bigger cysts first if they are going to do laproscopic surgery.
Helpful - 0
Hi,

I had 2 cysts removed by Laparoscopic surgery 6 weeks ago the cyst from my left ovary was 19x20x10 this was a simple cyst filled with fluid the cyst from my right ovary was a dermoid cyst and was 6x8cm, my surgeon specializes in minimal invasive surgery that defiantly matters it took him 4 and half hours and 7 incisions and he saved both ovaries! It really is amazing what they can do.
Helpful - 0
Yes they bag it and pull it out, but I would check with your doc on the techniques they use there..  Good luck
Helpful - 0
so they can bag it inside than pull it out doing laproscoptic?
Helpful - 0
For my 10cm dermoid they removed it(dermoid, ovary and tube) by cutting it off my uterus then putting it in a bag, in the bag it can be broken apart and either pulled out in the bag or have the contents of the bag suctioned out and everything is then sent off to pathology. I'm not really sure what they do exactly, but this is how one doc explained it to me when I asked up having the contents of this tumor leak into my pelvic cavity.  The first doc who wanted to do laporatomy was trying to discourage my interest in laproscopic surgery because of the potential to rupture the tumor, he obviously is not up to date on laproscopic procedures and/or just needed my business.   By the way just got my bill today more than 9K, ouch and to think my health insurance runs out next month. eek
Good luck
Helpful - 0
hmmm.  Mine was 10cm in Jan,  complex and supposably endo.  Cant this cyst rupture when they are pulling it out? and what if its larger now?
Helpful - 0
I'm scheduled for a laproscopy tomorrow and both of my cysts (one right, one left) are complex (not solid) and over 6cm.  My doc says he can take both out that way.  He said my incision might be a 'bit larger' then the standard lap, but they are still removable (is that a word?)
Helpful - 0
My dermoid was 10cm and was removed laproscopically, I have about a  two inch scar on one side, its still healing. But the first doc I went to would not even consider lap, he would only do a laporatomy, I think it was based on his skill level rather than the actual size.  Ask around for other docs who are up to date on lap procedures, this might be difficult if you don't live near a major medical center
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Well, not nec.  My dermoids were both large, softball sized.  Since I was at a surgery center, my dr continued with the lap.  My three scars are over 3 inches long.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
hi, i think its type matters. i had a 24cm cyst and had it not been a dermoid, my Dr. could have removed it laparoscopically (in fact, he had done others in the past that were that big). however, he is a younger guy and a minimally invasive surgery expert (that definitely matters) so i wouldn't say other Dr.'s could definitely go with a laparoscopic option. in fact, my first dr. had completely ruled out laparoscopy AND she was going to remove my ovary along with the cyst. the procedure i ended up getting was a laparotomy, but my dr. was able to drain the fluid before removing it which helped my recovery time and made my incision less than 3inc, not to mention he didn't touch my ovary.

i think being confident in your dr's skills is essential before deciding on who you go with. it certainly mattered in my case, as i simply wasn't comfortable with my first doctor.

hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
I think that I have read that any cyst over 5 or 6cm is too big for laproscopic removal.  Don't quote me but I think that is about the right size.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.