Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Nasty Case of the Flu

I'm pretty new here so just to recap my history briefly, I was dx'd with IIIc ovc last summer and finished taxol/carbo in Nov after a major debulking surgery.  I was very sick during the entire tx period but am slowly getting back on my feet.  Sunday night I came down with a bad case of the flu; nausea, vomiting, body aches, the whole nine yards. Still feeling pretty rough but at least I'm able to keep down fluids.  Has anyone experienced being more susceptible to viruses and do they hit harder than before you got sick?  It makes me a little nervous because I know that the immune system plays a role in keeping one in remission.  Feel like mine is shot since I got so sick from this bug.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
I work in a school in Southern Maryland and we have a really nasty tummy bug going around.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
I live in the Omaha area and I had heard there was something going around about a month ago.  Anyway, I'm feeling better this morning, still weak but at least feel like I'm getting back to normal.  Thanks to all of you for your good wishes!

Christa
Helpful - 0
I don't know what area of the country you live in, but I work in an elementary school near Dayton, Ohio and there is a nasty stomach virus going around.  I know of very few people who have been able to escape it.  Even the healthiest of the staff and students were down with it.  Symptoms only last 24 to 48 hours, but you feel like you were hit by a truck for about 3 to 4 days after.  I would keep a close eye on your fluids..you don't want to get dehydrated.  Good luck, get plenty of rest!!!!
Helpful - 0
kathy, I hear you about the unending injections.  I felt like a pin cushion by the time tx was finished.  I'm sure you must have felt terrible when you had the colds during chemo.  It's a funny thing, I was never sick during my chemo other than the wretched side effects.  But here I am now with a flaming case of the flu, go figure.  I was also not told to get a flu shot (and I should know better since I'm an RN).  I'm feeling a bit better tonight, hopefully will be able to kick it soon.
Helpful - 0
I have had colds twice during Chemo and it was a rough time. I did go to the Dr and got a bigger dose of Neupogen which finally kicked it. They gave me the option of not having Chemo and I should have put it off, I was real sick. Also I cannot believe that Dr.s do not tell how important it is to get Flu Shot. Last week I started to fall in my wood shed and let go of the wood as not to fall and both of my hands landed on rusty nails, could not believe it, I called in and told me to come in for a Tetnaus shot, just what I wanted another Shot!!! I hope you can start to feel better soon.....
Helpful - 0
Ha, Tascha I agree that it does suck canal water!
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I was not dx with ovca, however after my lengthy laproscopic surgery 3+ hrs to remove large dermoids and ovaries, I came down with the flu!  Sucks canal water as Mary V would say.  Hang in there and drink plenty of fluids.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.