Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Question to Gatsby (Tascha)

Hi Tascha,

I believe it was you who mentioned that prior to your surgery, it hurt for you to walk.  I think you said your bottom hurt, also.  If you are the one who told me this, did it hurt for you to sit?  Did the pain shoot to your lower back, hip, groin area, and/or down the back of your leg?  Just to jog your memory about me, I'm the one who went to an orthopedist for hip pain and learned I have a mass on my ovary.  I saw my GYN, the mass is probably a resolving cyst, and am now scheduled for a laparoscopy for probable endometriosis/scar tissue.  What was once an occasional pain a couple of months ago, is now a constant, nagging pain which interferes with most of my daily routines.  It is literally a pain in the butt (specifically the right cheek)!!

I just need to know that others feel (or have felt)the type of pain I'm feeling - dull with sharp, shooting pains.  I'm still not convinced this is just endometriosis.

Thanks a bunch!
(still) Frightened (especially since the pain is getting worse)
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi,  I just wanted to say..I have the same pain..hip pain for months..the last month has been horriable.  I am scheduled for surgery in two days.   I am So Scared ..my doctor who is a Ob/Gyn told me it is cysts..thou..did the Ca125, CEA..Now when being scheduled she is so pushing for a total Hyst/with oopherectomy.. she is now talking about potential of it being cancer..bringing in a oncologist surgeon to help.  

I feel like my doctor is lying to me ..not telling me the truth..can't one tell by looking at a u/s that ovarian mass is a cyst or tumor?  She now wants to fillet me like a fish.

So, can understand your fears..

Anna
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Yes, hon it was me.  Sometimes I have to catch myself getting out of my chair, cause the groin pain hits.  Also the pain in the buttcheek (how weird).  The thing is these cysts press against the nerves in the abdomen and the pain just travels!  I usually take advil on the days that it really gets bad.  I hope things get better for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Hi there.  Unfortunatly these things are called cysts, masses and tumors interchangebly.  Until surgery is done and pathology is complete they will not know what it is.  However, try to remember that 99% of ovarian cysts, masses, and tumors are BENIGN.  Having a gyn/onc in surgery is better because they are more knowledgable about these things and specialize in this area.  Your dr. was very wise to call one in for surgery.  Please keep us posted and let us know how it goes on the Recovery Side (RS).  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
If the info you gave us is all you have from the doc, something doesn't add up. Why does she want to take the uterus for ovarian cysts? We have a right to ask questions so we can make informed decisions, espeacially when it comes to surgery and MOST certainly when a doc wants to do a TAH. SOme have been given the "since were in there" line and if that is not what you want you need to say so. If there is valid reasin for the TAH then they need to give you all of that info.  

Good luck. At least we have each other here. I remember when you had to go to the library and try to find the very little bit available to lay people about a medical condition!  Cindi
Helpful - 0
My doctor did a complete hysterectomy, but she did it laporoscopically.  I questioned her and she said that at my age it would be better to remove the whole thing instead of the possibility of having to go back in later.
Helpful - 0
Hi ladies,   Two years ago I went to the doctor with left hip pain  - off to an orthopedic doctor who did the whole nuclear scan thing looking for hotspots of arthritis!  They never found any - but they also never found the cyst that was growing on the left ovary.  How interesting to read your post  - I never would have connected the two things!  But I certainly wished someone had as that cyst grew to 11cm and weighed over a pound by the time it was discovered!
Helpful - 0
I have had other health issues that are yet unresolved. I was hoping after reading here that my hip, groin, and leg pain would resolve some after this gyno issue. The top of my legs where they meet the torso hurt again already! I Am only 12 days post op and am a bit discouraged that this has returned. But I know I am also still healing so won't give up.

Alice, did your pain stop after the cyst was finally removed?

Cindi
Helpful - 0
Yes the pain in my hip and the one down my leg have both stopped.  I am 6 weeks post op though so maybe you just need a bit more time.  It might be the way you are walking if you are feeling any pain in the ab area you might be compensating by leaning as you walk. In the first couple of weeks everything all over me hurt - even my neck!   Now all the pain or discomfit I have is uterus/surgery related.
Helpful - 0
Thanks, that's good to know. Alot of us here have other issues we hope are going to be helped by our surgeries. I never even thought of gyno issues as a partial cause...was so used to the pain everywhere and missed it.
Helpful - 0
I certainly didn't relate the hip pain to the cyst until I read your post - but it makes sense when  you have something that shouldn't be there pressing on nerves and organs.  The problem as you get older is that you don't know what is normal wearing down of the body and what should be investigated.  I am 49 years old and just thought the aches and even the fullness and indigestion were natural aging.   I actually only thought about doing something when I started to bleed a little after sex!  And then when I went to the doctor I still didn't mention the other things because I didn't realise they were related at all.  It was only after the vaginal sonogram and the CA125 test found things that I started to research Ovarian cancer and saw that all these things are related.  Sadly, we are not very well educated on what to look for or what questions to ask.

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.