Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Newly diagnosed with ovarian cyst

HI. My name is Tori, 37 years old, no children, consistently been on oral BC pills for over 6 years.  The end of Oct '05 started to experience UTI symptoms. I went to PCP in early Dec '05 and was diagnosed with a UTI.  After meds, feeling okay, but symptoms back in early Feb.  Back to PCP and given meds for UTI again.  Since then, the symptoms came back and in mid Mar. my PCP referred me to my OB/GYN because my last two periods were irregular.  
  I had my yearly exam on March 21st, had recto-vaginal exam and was told no masses were felt.  I asked for the CA-125 since my mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer when she was 48 years of age and unfortunately was taken at the age of 51.  My CA-125 was normal (8), but I asked for transvaginal ultrasound for precaution.
  March 28th, found out I have a 3cm x 3cm ovarian cyst on my rt. ovary during ultrasound. (too high to feel during exam)I was told that it looks fluid filled, and the appearance on ultrasound does not look abnormal.  My ovaries and uterus are not enlarged,and no signs of fibroids in the uterus, also there was no fluid in the pelvic region.

Given 2 options:
1. Come back in 6 weeks and have another ultrasound to see if it changes.  My doctor has changed my BC pills to see if that does anything.
2. Have it surgically removed with an outpatient procedure.

I opted for option 2.  Symptoms are there, not severe, but many.  Thoughts?  Do I need any other tests?  Should I be worried? I'm concerned that cyst appeared while taking BC pills.  Should I be? The next 6 weeks will drag.  Thanks in advance!

7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
Welcome to the site.  I can understand your concern, however try to remember that 99% of ovarian cysts, masses, tumors are BENIGN.  That said, given your family history, I would go with option 2 myself.  Also, try to have a gyn/onc available for the surgery simply because they are more experienced with this type of thing.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
I alo have a cyst and will be undergoing surgery in May. I am responding regarding your UTI symptoms. I have had two very serious UTI's in the last year that required trips to the ER because I was peeing out pure blood. I had no idea that I had an ovarian cyst, but I think the two are related. Since I found out about my cyst (quite by accident) I have noticed bladder cramping and that feeling you get when you have a UTI. At the first twinge I drink a ton of water and it seems to help. I am with you about getting your cyst removed given your family history. I hope everything works out well for you and that the 6 weeks goes by quickly.
Michelle
Helpful - 0
118225 tn?1278654940
Hey tori, i just wanted to let you know..so far i have developed 2 cysts on BC pills, and both of them resolved on their own within the 6 weeks mark...and mine we "complex"... ithink u should do whatever fels right for you.  I know that when i first found out about my first cyst...i wa ted it out, my ovary out and all that..but given my age(24) and no family history they wouldnt touch me without waiting 6 weeks...but with your history i would probably opt to do the same thing if it was option.
Helpful - 0
I am also on birth control and my cyst developed as well, kinda scary. I knew from the begining that my cyst wouldn't resolve. Doctor didn't want to do the surgery because of my weight. which I totally understood. I opted for opition two, finally I broke down at my doctor. because I ended up having to leave my job and stuff and that was last tuesday I broke down. Friday I had surgery. My tip is be emotional in front of them and it seems to work. I had the UTI thing too. thats what started it all, then that turned into kidney stones. Which I didn't have either.

Good Luck Tori
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for the advice and words of encouragement already!  

Many apologies...I did opt for option one...see how it looks in 6 weeks with the new BC pill.  But, with the opinions that I have gotten so far, I may change my mind.

My husband is USAF and out of the country right now so it's good to have some folks to talk to about it.  He gets back in about 6 weeks, that is why I chose to wait and if surgery is needed, he will be here...

Thanks again, I will be checking back...

God bless,

Tori
Helpful - 0
Hi ToriGirl - Welcome to the site.  I too had a complex cyst diagnosed and have a strong history of ovca -  Like Gatsby is so good at reminding us the majority of them are benign.  My mom died of ovca at age 45 so I was freaking out too.  Anyway, I had mine removed last week and yipee, it was benign also.
Since yours appears to be fluid filled, I think that's good news and it may actually resolve on its own - that's why they usually do the 6 week wait and see thing.  I know ToriGirl, the wait is the hardest.
We are all here to support one another and share our experiences - and we pray for one another too so I'll be sure to add you to my prayer list.  SpiceGirl
Helpful - 0
Thank you SpiceGirl...I appreciate you being so honest about your own experience, especially the fear that you had since your mom had ovca too.  

I have 3 sisters...one older, who has been on the same pill for 20 years, never a problem.  2 younger sisters that have had fibroids, cysts, dyplasia and endometriosis between them ...everytime something bothers us in "that" area, we get very nervous.  

This is the first time I've ever had any issues with anything feminine, (except for having to change my BC pills) so naturally, I thought the worse.  I got online and looked up everything about it always finding the worse case scenario and somehow relating it to my circumstances.  The world wide web can certainly be a downer!  :)  It's been crazy.

But I'm glad I found this message board and the great people that have been so nice...

God Bless!

Tori
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.