Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Enlarged uterus

Hi everybody,

I'm just wondering if anybody on here has any experience with fibroids in addition to their cysts. My diagnosis of a "subseptus uterus" is now being reconsidered as a large fibroid that is growing. Does anyone know how fast these things can grow? My uterus went from being 9x5x6 to 12x5x6 in just six weeks! At this rate, I'll have to consider maternity clothes soon LOL!s. I've been able to find information on the net about the average size of a uterus, but can only find information on fibroids that says they can grow fast. How fast is fast? Did anyone else have a fairly rapid growth of their uterus? Just curious, as the cysts have kept most of my attention. I'll ask the doctor on Friday, but looking for some answers in the mean time. Much gratitude, Robin
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Robin, fibroids are apparently complicated things in their growth habits.  Among the women in my family, probably due to our wonderful genetic heritage of endometriosis!, fibroids abound.  Some women had to have hysterectomies because the fibroids grew quickly and caused such heavy bleeding these poor women were house-bound for a week a month.  I am talking about cases where the women were normal at one holiday and by the 'same time, next year', they'd had the hysto!  Other women in my family had fibroids diagnosed, but went normally about their lives until they reached menopause and the fibroids shrank.  I myself have a fibroid that I was not even aware I had until it was seen in my surgery in 2004.  It still has not grown or caused me any problems.
Helpful - 0
Thanks Mickey! I'm not sure how much bleeding mine is causing as I've had an ablation and now my cervix is almost completely scarred shut. I have noticed a lot more cramps than usual, a little blood for a few days every week or every other, just enough to make daily life annoying. They were unable to do an endometrial biopsy due to my closed cervix, so now it's just a big old guessing game. My mom had fibroids, too, and had a D&C before menopause came along and shrunk the little suckers. Guess menopause does have it's benefits! It sounds like your family has it's share of female troubles, but it comes in handy when passing the blame - ha! Menopause is probably another seven years away for me, so guess my planned hysterectomy will solve the problem! Thanks for the help. Robin
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.