Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Any hope at all for victims of advanced ovarian cancer?

I have an 8cm mass on my right ovary. My symptoms include bloating, breathlessness, and a heavy feeling in the abdomen. Since yesterday (yes, it's going that fast!), I also feel discomfort in the area of my liver. Considering my age (58), the OB/GYN I consulted (I'm new in town) is certain I have advanced ovarian cancer. She took blood for a C-125 reading, but although the blood was drawn last Wednesday, there is still no answer on that test. I'm scheduled for a Cat-scan tomorrow morning.

From everything I see on the Internet, ovarian cancer is terrifyingly aggressive and quickly invasive. The doctor and all her staff stared at me with great big eyes, and spoke to me in gentle, muted whispers. They seemed to believe I'm already half in the ground. That experience in and of itself has made me sick to my stomach with fear and loathing.

Does this mean there's really no hope? None at all? Please don't respond that there's always hope if my chances are slim to nil; I need an honest answer in straightforward language.

Thanks.
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
CA 125 level is not suitable for diagn.,in the case of nonsecretant tumors. Also me I had all the time low values of CA 125 (normal < 35) and I was dg. as OC stage III C. Don't worry, I had also a recurrence, three surgeries during last three years, two lines of chemotherapy, I lost a great part of the intestine during last surgery, I had 6 diarrheas per day, 3 months, but I am happy now, I started my work, I can drive, etc...
So you must fight, I believe you have a reason!!!
All the best for all of you !!!!
Helpful - 0

Update --

This is so weird. My CA-125 came back today; it's NEGATIVE (29,5)! How is that possible? I'm now more confused than ever. I wish I could have asked the doctor what it means, but she was busy and had her receptionist phone with the results. My daughter tells me that particular test is not always very reliable ... Can anyone help clarify this situation?
Thanks,
Annette
Helpful - 0
I would like to really rip your gyn to pieces......I did just that and then I deleted the whole thing.
My story is one you should hear.....after my annual pap and physical.....everything normal...I went to see a gyno (I had never seen him before, either) because I had pressure on the rectum, sometimes pain after encercourse, and something going on with the bladder.
After a bi-manual he said I had fibroids...he suggested I make an appointment for an ultrasound as I left the office....to make a long story short....I had an ultrasound and trans-vaginal ultrasound that afternoon......after looking at the pictures he told me I had ovarian cancer.  Immediately following, while still in the office...I made an appointment with the oncologist (I asked if I was his wife of mother where would he send me) he recommended for the following a.m......after meeting with the oncologist, surgery was scheduled the following morning.  It was cancer.....but, it was caught early...stage IC.  My gynocologist had evidently the expertise and confidence to call the tumor cancer prior to a biopsy.....most won't do that.
My CA125 was run just prior to surgery to be used as a marker for progress being made during chemo treatments.  
That surgery was April 27, 2005.......my chemo ended Oct. 12, 2005......I just had my 6 month chec after chemo and the good news is my CA125 is 3.5...........Yes, I had cancer....yes it was scary......but I am still here.  
There are many women here who will tell you how many symptoms presented after they were told they had a cyst or tumor or adhesions....whatever.....our body and mind interact in ways that are, at times, confusing.
This response is straightforward and honest....there obviously is hope......you cannot afford to be defeated before the battle has even begun!  If you do have cancer, you are  in for the fight of and for your life....gather all the info you can.....knowledge is power.....after you gather the info and find out what you are dealing with.......you will need to be educated enough to be actively involved in your battle plan.....you, your family and your oncologist will fight side by side if you do have cancer.....but you don't know that yet!
Please stay in touch.....we all started where you are now....wanting answers and being tortured with the waiting.
Most of the women here DID NOT AND DO NOT have cancer. Until told differently, keep that under your bonnet!
I will watch for you.....Peace.
dian
Helpful - 0
110491 tn?1274481937
My advice: definitely go to a a gyn oncologist for treatment including surgery, this will increase your chances.

My oncologist said even a recurrance of ovarian cancer (and you are the first time around, if at all) is not a death sentence.

Please keep us posted!
Helpful - 0
First of all...any doc can not be "certain of " ANY ovarian cancer with out a biopsy....or even from a ca125 or any other bllod work, advanced or otherwise.  Many, many ladies here have the symptoms you mentioned and cysts up to 20+cm and it is benign, as Tasch will let you know are 99% of ovarian cysts. Did they do an ultrasound? That is usually a first step and the CT scan is a good way to see some of that stuff, also, like the liver and other abdominal organs. I think they said the transvaginal US is the best way to get a look at the ovary. However mine showed a cyst that was actually my ovary all gunked up with adhesions and stuck to my uterus.

DO NOT....Please, do not go on what one doc said. Others are sure to jump on here and let you know all this, too and more.

This site has so much support so let us know what you find out.
Cindi
Helpful - 0

It's hard to find the words to express my gratitude to all who responded so positively and so RAPIDLY. People really do care (I sound like a super annuated Sally Field, sorry).  I know now I'm not wandering alone in some sort of strange wilderness where nobody knows who I am or cares what I'm feeling.

The CAT scan is tomorrow morning. I know I probably won't have an answer for a while. I'm hoping.

Thanks again.
Helpful - 0
Hi,

I agree with the other Cysters, you can't go by what the Doctors is saying now before a biopsy has been taken from what I understand at this stage its the only way to diagnose Ovarian Cancer. Also the ca 125 blood test is not accurate it can be elevated from other disease like endometriosis.

Good luck for your C.T scan tommorrow, I'm having one in the afternoon.

Let us no how you are.

Take care

Kiwi Kate xxx
Helpful - 0
I am so sorry that you are going through this. Please let us know how the CAT scan goes. Anyone would be terrifed in your position, but, you don't really know enough yet... I wish I could offer some words of comfort. Do you have someone close who can go with you and help you? MickyV is right, and I am sure some of our women who know more than myself will be along shortly. Lots of women consider this a disease that can be managed, and there are many survivors who post on here.
God Bless, from Katie
Helpful - 0
No, there is hope even if that hope seems quite dim at this point, and I strongly suggest that you make an appointment with a gyn oncologist who should perform your surgery.

One simply cannot apply a blanket statement about ovca.  Some types are indeed aggressive; other types are not.  Some types of ovca respond so well to the newer platinum based chemotherapies that even some higher staged patients achieve a remission.    We have a number of women posting on this forum who ought to be dead if we held to the statistics on this disease.  I am sure that you will read posts from some of them.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.