Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

No BM, post-op, right side cyst, tube and ovary removal

Hi, I am new to this board, not sure if I'm in the right place for my question...Anyway, I am 4 days home from having surgery..I had an ovarian cyst removed along with the right ovary and tube..I had tons of scar tissue as well, and also they had punctured my bladder, so have some stitches in that too..I just got my catheter removed today, thank god!

I still have not had a BM and was wondering if this is normal or too soon?? I have been on stool softners since a week, but haven't eaten much solid food..Just today, i feel the urge to go, but when i try, nothing....Any advice or things that i could eat to increase the chance of going?? I wasn't really regular to begin with, so could i just be anxious about going?? Thanks...Jenn

7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had the same stuff taken out and i had my cath taken out on friday and i was pooping monday. so hope that helps. I guess you just have ot wait for your body to get back to normal with out the cath. then poop comes
Helpful - 0
Hi Jenn, Welcome to the board and the RS, what you're experiencing is normal it takes a while for your system to kick start itself and pain killers can make you constipated, Try not to worry as this will make it worse, you could try eating figs or prunes.
Helpful - 0
119341 tn?1232563757
I've been taking that Benefiber. Its wonderful. You can put on your food. It has sodium in it also so instead of salt I put fiber on it.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the friendly advice, I haven't taken my percocet since being in the hospital..It didn't work for me, so I've been taking IB profin...I guess I'll give it a little more time..I'm just worried cuz I have had previous abdominal surgery as a baby for an abstructed bowel and don't want it to happen again....Thanks again and hope everyone is healing up nicely...I'm sure I'll post again soon...Jenn
Helpful - 0
Drink, drink, drink.  Juice, tea, water, etc. It really helps.
Good luck! Love, Katie.
Helpful - 0
Yes,Katie, you took the words out of my mouth! WATER! WATER! WATER! I actually have big 20 oz cups that are insulated and have lids if I chose to use them. (They are the only plastic things I use!!) I put 5 ruggerbands on the handle and move one up to the top each time I fill it. That makes me see if I need to step it up....get them in well before bed time due to tinkle all night issues!  I got the idea from one of the midwives who gave out cups with a dial that you turned with numbers on the cup to keep track.

I also have been doing the stool softeners since before surgery, 2xday and using a drinkable fiber laxative. I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and am JUST feeling okay with the bowl issues. It took me a few days to go, too. But I start to get full feeling and then it starts to ache in my abdomin if I don't keep this up religiously! I still feel like I should go more but can't. Usually if I were using just the drink laxative I would be very soft and I am still "hard". Nothing but 800mg IB for 2 weeks.

So it is an issue and it can really add to the disconpfort if you get backed up at all!
Helpful - 0
Take it from someone who knows about this subject (since age 12), the ladies are right...lots of fluid, especially clear fluids.  The stool softeners are good, but don't do the trick for everyone.  Try flaxseed.  Sprinkle it on high fiber cereal or in oatmeal.  You might feel a bit gassy at first, but it will open up the "gateway" pretty quickly.  Also, on the hyster sisters website, someone posted a mixture that is supposed to work really well...applesauce, bran (ground, I think) and prune juice.  Should be paste-like, and you take 2 spoonfuls a day.  I am sure it is very gassy, also, but supposedly it works.  I intend to try this after my surgery this month.  Anyway, hope this helps some.  I know how crumby you probably feel, so I hope relief is in sight soon :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.