Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

any info on depolupron??

I went to see the gyn/onc today and he said that he wanted to try me on the drug depolupron.  When I went to pick up this prescription I found that my insurance would not pay for this and it is going to cost us 550.00 per shot.  When I looked up this drug, I found that people have been having sevear allergic reactions to this drug.  Does anyone have any info or advice they could give me?  When I called the doctor back and told him that my insurance would not pay and that there was no way I could pay that kind of money, he then told me that there was no alternative drug to use.  It was either this or surgery.  I am so depressed that I have been crying every since we left the pharmacy.  I would almost rather them just take the ovary and finally be done with it (my insurance will pay 100% of surgery but nothin on drugs to prevent surgery!!! Kind of crazy huh?).  My husband feels that we should try the med. and see what happens.  I need some advice on what I should do.  I am so confused.  Thanks for all of your help.  Kasie
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had surgery last tuesday and a checkup appt. today.  They said I had some endometriosis on my uteran walls, and that I probably had more somewhere else.  They said the only two options were to get pregnant, start birth control (which I always had problems with) or take LupronDepot (same as depolupron?).  At first I was OK with the lupron until I read all the information and side effects including: bone loss, hot flashes, headaches, vaginal dryness, vomiting, and depression. I also heard that another form of this drug can cause acne, unusual hair growth, and low sex-drive. They said I wouldn't have a period, and instantly I freaked out.  I had been on deprovera and gained thirty pounds.  The weight was a huge issue.  But after reading the side effects of lupron, poisoning my body was even a bigger problem.  The side effects seemed more severe than my painfull periods.  So thank you for this site.  I'm glad my instincts were right.  I knew there had to have been a more natural way.  God put so many remedies in natural herbs, it seems to make more sense that way.  I'm going to research the progestrerone drugs.  Thank you so much.  I could have made a big mistake if it wasn't for this site.
Helpful - 0
Mary, your daughter sounds like a very wise young lady.  It makes you wonder why the doctors (who are supposed to know about this stuff) do not tell you that you are only supposed to be on the Depo shots for so long.  Thank God for other women who can share information.  
Hoping to hear from the doctor first thing tomorrow morning.  We have decided that surgery will be the safest option for me.  Hopefully the doctor will ageree.  Hope you have a great Sunday afternoon.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
Good morning to you Mary V.  Did you take the Lupron shots?  Like I stated earlier, after much research my family and I have now decided that there is now way I am going to take the shots.  I am a mom of three (one who is handicap with seizures,and autism), and from what I have read some of the side affects can make you unable to do simple tasks.  Since my husband works nights and I am home alone with my kids (ages 11, 10, and 8) we decided that we could not take the chance.  At least if I have surgery my mom can come and stay for 2 weeks and my husband will be able to take a week off after she leaves.  Not to mention the cost factor.  Insuranace does not want to pay for the shots, but they will pay 100% for the surgery.  I pray that I am doing the right thing.  My sister told me to follow my instincts, but I am so unsure of myself now that I do not know what to think.  As I stated before, all of you women have been heaven sent.  I will continue to pray for all of you.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for all of your great advice!! It means so much to know that there are women out there who I can turn to.  I did a lot of research on Lupron Depo last night and found that there are some very severe side affects ( severe depression, joint pain, migrains, weight gain of 25-50 pounds, memory loss, vision problems, etc) and had my husband read the site also.  Now that we have some more info, we are leaning towards not taking the shots.  I do have a call into my regular gyn (who is on vacation this week), and I did talk to the nurse.  She did say that these are all possible side affects of the shot.  She also said that I have valid concerns since I was on anxiety meds after my last surgery.  The doctor is going to get in touch with me on Monday and tell me what her opinion is.  I pray that she will be able to take off of the cyst and keep the ovary.  That would be great.  Just wanted to fill you in on some info I found.  Hope to hear from you soon.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
Lupron Depot stops the functioning of the ovaries.  Thus, a woman goes into instant, chemically-induced menopause.  So, any list of the symptoms of menopause will tell you exactly the list of those side effects.

As for the long term, there are conflicting reports.  Some women complain that even when the drug is stopped they continue to have side effects similar to menopause, including migraines, as well as dizziness and fatigue. I have read that other women report the menstrual cycles never return to normal.

Lupron Depot, by the way, is recommended for ONLY 6 months use.  It is not a permanent solution that a woman will use for years, hence my disbelief that any doctor would issue such an ultimatum as "this drug, or surgery,"  without allowing the patient to explore the alternative medications.   It is at least worth a try, especially if it the end of the road is likely to be surgery.

Last but not least, there have been at least two other women posting on this forum who used Prometrium to resolve an existing cyst or to assist in the prevention of further cyst problems, so perhaps they will post a reply as well.    I recall one woman's cyst resolving completely while on the Prometrium.
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for the advice.  Do you know what the side affects fo Lupro are?   I am having a very hard time finding any information.  thaks Kasie
Helpful - 0
My doctor has given me the ultimatum of GnRH(the hormone in Lupron)or TAH/BSO.  I have not decided about either yet.  You can use a nose spray that is not as costly and provides the same function as Lupron. Just research the side effects and then weigh risk vs benefit.
Helpful - 0
Wait a minute...according to my doctor, there are indeed alternatives.  Not as effective a Lupron Depot, but close enough to help most women, and costing much, much less, and without the serious side effects.

After my surgery to remove an endometrioma and ovary, my doctor discussed options to fight the endometriosis discovered during my surgery. Her first choice was Lupron Depot.  However, I am so sensitive to hormonal drugs that I was never able to use 'The Pill'.  

My doctor then immediately recommended progesterone supplementation.  She gave me prescriptions for two forms.  One is the less effective Prometrium, which is very much like natural progesterone and has little in the way of side effects.  I experience some slight weight gain, but I also feel better while taking the medication (it is recommended to be taken at night as it can cause drowsiness - which it does, and I sleep like a baby!)  There is the added benefit that my menstrual cycles are much more regular while taking this drug.

The other form is a much stronger variety of progesterone supplementation called Aygestin.  As with Prometrium, the side effects are few;  I know that Aygestin can cause the serum cholesterol  levels to increase in some women, but that can be monitored.

To combat the weight gain, she also gave me a prescription for a diuretic, as the weight gain is mostly due to water retention.

I should also add that for severe endometriosis, both drugs can be combined; that is, they can both be taken to provide an even stronger effect on the excess estrogen.

I can tell a difference with these drugs, and as I stated, I really have no serious side effects.

I suggest talking to your doctor.  Obviously, these drugs will not completely stop the endometriosis as Lupron Depot will, but it is certainly worth the try before having a surgery.  Surgery is serious business.  I am not necessarily anti-surgery if it is in the best interest of the woman, but other options should be considered...so I suggest getting another opinion from a gyn or talk with your PCP before  just having the surgery.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.