Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

The Ginger study

Has anyone actually approached their own doctors about the ginger study?  They havent tested in animals yet, so it would be YEARS at least before anything concrete came out about this.

Would it be danerous to start taking ginger?  In what form?  Do they sell it in a capsule? A powder to maybe put in tea?  Or perhaps buying and chopping up ginger root and cooking your chicken with it?

If anyone has any information, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
110491 tn?1274481937
I don't want to be negative about I just take these reports with a grain of salt. They say that the results are very preliminary. In the study they put concentrated ginger powder directly on the cancer cells. As ConcernedInNY says, it has not even been tested on animals yet. I doubt the OvCa cure is going to come in form of ginger supplements. I wonder how high a dose you would have to take to kill the cancer cells, and if taking ginger orally will deliver it to the cancer cells. Here is what the study said:

"Study results are very preliminary, and researchers plan to test whether they can obtain similar results in animal studies. The appeal of ginger as a potential treatment for ovarian cancer is that it would have virtually no side effects and would be easy to administer as a capsule.

“Patients are using natural products either in place of or in conjunction with chemotherapy, and we don’t know if they work or how they work. We don’t know how these products interact with chemotherapy or other cancer treatments. There’s no good clinical data,” Liu says."

Anyway, since I was diagnosed in Nov 2005 I have read that one study or another showed that the following reduce the risk of OvCa or the tumors: green tea, curry (tumeric), gingko biloba, vegetarian diet, oregano, and now ginger. All have been staples of my diet for years, albeit not in concentrated form.
Helpful - 0
120574 tn?1240767840
Did you read the recent findings and test results made regarding the ginger study? This was a major discovery which is being presented in Washington.  You may want to read about it, go to google and put in Ginger and ovarian cancer cells.  My doctor was very positive about it.
Helpful - 0
110491 tn?1274481937
My Dr. asked me not to take anything while on chemo except a multi-vitamin. However, I was allowed to eat anything I like. So I think it is safe to cook with ginger and eat ginger as part of a meal but I'd stay away from supplements until the last chemo treatment exits the body. Also, as much as I am for an all natural approach, I now know enough about OvCa to realize that none of these things (ginger, vitamin C, maitake mushrooms, etc) will cure us. But I am planning to use them to rebuild and support my body, and in moderation, they cannot hurt.
Helpful - 0
120574 tn?1240767840
by the way concernedinny I am concernedinnj so your not far away.
Helpful - 0
120574 tn?1240767840
I had my last chemo yesterday, and gave the article to my Dr.  he asked me to wait and not take the ginger yet, so to not conflict witht he chemo.  It seems he had heard about it already, he also said when I see him in two weeks he will talk to me about the ginger and other things as well.  " like taking a cat scan".  In the mean time I am going to make a call to the number in the article to find out more.  800-865-1125.  Will keep you posted.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.