Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Recurring Ovarian Cysts

Hello everyone.  I've been reading your posts for a couple of weeks, but just today got to the point where I felt I needed to post.  I had a diagnostic lap on 3/3 too see about cysts that were seen on an u/s (10/05) and a CT scan (1/06).  When my doctor got in there, the only thing she found was some endometriosis which she removed.  A week (to the day) after the surgery, I started having the same old familiar abdominal and low back pain with nausea, bloating,etc.  She then prescribed a higher dose birth control pill to see if that prevented additional cysts.  I went for another ultrasound yesterday (at my insistance because she claimed she didn't feel any cysts during the pelvic exam).  Guess what - cysts on each ovary.  I am at my wits end with these things!  You ladies are so knowledgeable about this matter, I just wanted to see if I could get any advice on what to do.  The gyn wants me to take another CA125 (test in Feb was "normal"), then come in for another appt. to "discuss how we should treat these things".  I am seriously considering TAH w/ BSO so I don't have to worry about recurrence, but surgical menopause does scare me a bit.

Thank you for listening to me rant and for your support!

5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi i had a ovarian cyst removed from my left ovarie in may last year, however a few weeks ago started to get familair pain on my left side again, i went to the hospital and they scanned me to find that i had another dermoid cyst but on my right ovary this time, i was worried as the pain i am still currently recieving is exactly the same as that 12 months ago, however after spening 9 days in hospital i was sent home to be advised that there is no way the pain could be on my left side when the cyst is on the right. However i have been listed for another laparomoty which iwas advised would be within 6 weeks of leaving hospital however i have been out for 3 weeks now and have only just recieved a date of 6thjuly, thats another 9 weeks away. Surley it is not normal for me to be left with this pain thatis causing me severe discomfort.
Helpful - 0
Hi i had a ovarian cyst removed from my left ovarie in may last year, however a few weeks ago started to get familair pain on my left side again, i went to the hospital and they scanned me to find that i had another dermoid cyst but on my right ovary this time, i was worried as the pain i am still currently recieving is exactly the same as that 12 months ago, however after spening 9 days in hospital i was sent home to be advised that there is no way the pain could be on my left side when the cyst is on the right. However i have been listed for another laparomoty which iwas advised would be within 6 weeks of leaving hospital however i have been out for 3 weeks now and have only just recieved a date of 6thjuly, thats another 9 weeks away. Surley it is not normal for me to be left with this pain thatis causing me severe discomfort.
Helpful - 0

Thanks  for responding

I haven't had any hormone tests done.  My gut feeling is saying that is where the problem lies.  I do have fibroids which account for the heavy  bleeding for 5 to 7 days but I don't have the prolonged cycle everytime.  Just maybe once a year or year and a half.  Birth control pills stopped it in 24 hours.  So I think that may be the link.  Its tiring.  This one has gone on for 24 days. Ugh!  I think it may be stopping now and then it will straightened out for a year.  Weird.
Cheers
Helpful - 0
Hi
Does small ovarian cysts cause prolonged menstrual beeding, heavy as well?  They have been trying to find out why I have these reoccuring episodes of prolonged menstrual cycles over a couple of years. I had one that lasted 6 weeks, then it would revert back to a normal cycle. I would go a year and then again same thing.  I just had a endo biopsy last week and waiting for results.  Yesterday they did a us and found a small simple cyst on my right ovary.  They couldn't find the left one.  I have cramping just when i pass the clots, sorry  for the TMI.
Its miserable and I feel like the only one.  I know I am not.
Any info out there.  This is the first time I have been on this site.  I am 51 years and Had a fairly regular cycle until 3 months ago.  Any support would help.

Thanks
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Welcome to the forum!  I know how you feel!  As for the ca125, it is really not a reliable test for premenopausal women.  Also, just a reminder that 99% of ovarian cysts are benign.  I just had 2 softball sized dermoid cysts removed 12/21/05 and wouldn't you know, I have another cyst growing on a little 10% of an ovary!  Perhaps you should get a 2nd opinion from a gyn/onc since they specialize in womens reproductive systems and they have seen it all.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.