Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

decisions for surgery...regarding borderline

Today we talked to gyn/onc and set up surgery for next Wednesday.
It's pretty straightforward if it's benign (only take ovary) or malignant (take all) but if it's borderline we have to make some decisions regarding how much they are going to remove. Just the ovary in question or both ovarys and hysterectomy...We've been told that if we choose to leave all but one ovary and a week later the further testing reveals cancer that it would mean a 2nd surgery to remove everything else.

On the other hand, if we choose to remove everything in the case of it being borderline then it means hormone replacement, etc. I'm 31 and although we don't really have any more children planned, we wouldn't be too upset if we had a 4th now that we're getting used to 3.

Anyways, experiences? We can choose to be as aggressive/passive as we choose but those are kind of the guidelines we've been given.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi, I was diag with a complex cyst at 33.  I was (still am) single with no kids.  Before surgery doc and I discussed all options, they were the same as yours, if it was cancer take it all, if not leave it.  I was having a frozen section biopsy (hope you are too), because they didn't "think" it looked like cancer they decided not to wait for results of the frozen section and just closed me up after tumor removal.  To their surprise it was diag as LMP borderline ovarian cancer from the frozen section.  It was recommened to me at the time (this was in 2002) to have a TAH as soon as I was done having kids.  There are new protocals with borderline ovca and it usually is no longer recommended to have a TAH with LMP borderline ovca. It's a real personal decision.  I had problems most of life with heavy periods and the prospect of that going away was a big influence as well as the concern of the LMP cancer returning or a more agressive ovca starting, so a year and a half later I had the TAH.  I also refused all HRT and haven't regretted that decision either.  Some women do not have problems with menapausal symptoms.  Some ovarian cancers are estrogen receptive meaning they feed on estrogren.  I didn;t want to take a chance of that happening.  I have had very few menapausal symptoms, only a couple of hot flashes (and not severe)since 2003 and no other problems to speak of.  Of course this is another personal decision.

You have to decide what is best for you.  

Take care and I hope your surgery turns out to be benign.

Debbie

P.S. There are two type of borderline ovca one is LMP the other is MPSC - I've described them further in another response - do a search if you want to see the description - MPSC is much more agressive.
Helpful - 0
Greetings all!  We are meeting with the gyn/onc next week to discuss my options as well...which are the same as yours...take out left ovary, monitor the right or take it all out.  I feel very blessed to have the (10yr and 8wk old) children I do, and want to be here for them...it's just difficult to know.  Sending prayers, light and positive energy your way. Read the forums...I can't explain but it sure helps knowing your not alone...there is a circle of women here thats helps and heals the spirit.  Blessings to all
Helpful - 0
Well I understand the position you are in as I am kind of in the same boat. They found my ovary mass in a pet scan that they were doing for a mass in my chest. I was scheduled for surgery for tomorrow and it had to be canceled due to finding out that I WAS 5 weeks pregnant. Long story short I had to have a medically induced miscarriage and now they are setting me up for another pet scan in two weeks to see if the ovary mass is still showing malignant and I too have the same decision to make. I have one son who is 2yrs old and I did want more but I also need to consider being here for my son. So I told the dr if when he gets in there and the ovary is malignant.....take everything you can - which would be devastating BUT give me a better chance of being here for my son that is here now. We never talked about anything "borderline"? maybe I should talk to the dr again about that because I dont want to lose the chance to have another child I am 30 and would like to give my son a brother or sister but I also know how agressive cancer can be. It is so tough to make these decisions. I wish I could help but I will be praying for you.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.