Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

re tingling legs and miserable

my mom has just had her third bout of carboplatin and is now experiencing tingling legs.  she is worried it may be a blood clot, anyone any experience of this? Also she is extremely miserable (i know she has a right to be) but she never speaks just watches tv and she never smiles before her dx she was bubbly and outgoing. She also doesnt allow my dad out of her sight so he cant go anywhere all he does is stays in and cares for her, she wont even let him go out and me sit with her.  will things ever be normal again?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
Did you get depressed while taking chemo?  If so, did you attribute it to your diagnosis or the chemicals...or maybe a little bit of both?  They say "chemo brain" is most common in women getting treatment for breast cancer, but I think maybe that factored in a little bit, too.  

I have another follow-up CA125 next week, and if it stays stable, my appointments will go to every two months (other than getting my port flushed)...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I get a good result.  Hope all your follow-ups bring good news, as well.

Gail :)
Helpful - 0
120574 tn?1240767840
I am right behind you.  I just finished by 6 rounds last week, and waiting to feel better.  Still have all the symptoms!
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
I finished my 6th treatment this past December.  After each one, I always developed tingling in my toes, ankles, legs, and wrists.  Is she having Taxol along with the carboplatin?  My doctor warned me that the neuropathy and muscle pain is a side effect of Taxol.  Each treatment got a little better, but those first few had me down for the count!  I couldn
Helpful - 0
Sorry to hear that your mom is going through a rough time.  I know how hard it is to go through treatment, having just finished in Nov. of 2005.  I know that Carboplatin can cause all kinds of weird side effects.  I had a blood clot in my leg following my port placement and the symptoms for that are quite specific.  There is pain, redness and warmth in a specific spot where the blood clot is forming.  A generalized tingling in her legs doesn't sound like a dvt but if you are ever unsure, it's always wise to consult with the doc.

Going through treatment is difficult; I know my personality changed from being confident and self-assured to unsure and dependent.  I think that goes with the territory.  If your dad is her primary caregiver, he will needs lots of support and occasional breaks.  Try to be as caring and supportive as you can.  I hope the best for your mom during this difficult time.

God bless,
Christa
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.