Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What did he expect?

My mom went for a followup a couple of days after her second chemo treatment.  My brother went with them and asked the doc about the CA-125.  The doc said they usually test halfway through the treatment and sometimes they wait until all treatments are done (that last part doesnt make sense to me).

Anyway, the doc said it wasnt a bad idea to test so he took more blood.  Then afterwards the nurse came out and basically said "everything is alright and the results were just as the doctor expected".

My question is, what DID the doctor expect?  I wish I was there to ask more specific questions, but would you take this as meaning that the chemo IS working and the CA-125 levels are declining - even just after only the second treatment?

Also, arent they supposed to be testing the CA-125 levels because if it wasnt coming down , wouldnt they switch drugs?

Anyone?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
110491 tn?1274481937
Don't be shy and ask for photocopies of your lab results. I want ALL my results, CT scans, surgery reports, blood work in writing in front of me, it is my body and my right. Labs will generally not release them to you only to the doctor but his office can surely run you some copies. Never was a problem with my doc. Once you have  the numbers in front of you, then ask away. Why is that number expected and is there anything he can say about it? Maybe next time you should go with your mom. You are good at asking questions (that's a compliment)...just ask him everything you ask us.
Helpful - 0
I will call Monday.  I just found all this out myself.  Had I been there I would have asked for the numbers.

But I would htink that he expected the numbers to come down, right?  I mean the nurse wouldnt come out and say  everything is alright if the numbers were rising, right?
Helpful - 0
120574 tn?1240767840
Ask Ask Ask, do not just take the answer, you want to keep track of the CA125 that is important.  Call them and tell them you want the numbers each time to keep track.
Helpful - 0
Alan, for first time treatments, it often takes more rounds of chemotherapy to create a change in the CA-125 level than for later treatments or for recurrences.  Also, it appears to me from all of your previous posts that the doctors do expect good results from your mother's treatment.  Don't worry and rush things.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.