Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Update on what doctor said-makes me confused

Hi everyone, I post a message a week ago needing to know the actual size. Sure some of you remember me :-)Well I spoke with my family doctor nurse, I have my appt to see a OB/Gyn on Tuesday. The nurse said that my FD does not think that my left lower back pain is due to my cyst and that she may send me to a pain control doctor, she also said the FD does not think the OB/Gyn will do anything to my cyst. I have went to her in the last month 1/2 for pelvic pain. Remember I had a partial Hyst in 99 and the pain I have feels like menstaul cramps, back pain and sometimes the pain felt like when giving birth how the head crowns. I am so confused and this waiting gain doesn't help. I know by reading this board, I have had to had some cyst(s) leak or something because there where times when wiping I would have light color blood on the toliet paper, you don't get this for no reason. I have never been through and not sure what to expect from the OB/GYN appt, if you can give me heads up on what to expect I would apperciate it and ant feelings on what the nurse told me. Also my husband says he wants to know how a doctor can tell it is a cyst and not tumor from a pelvic CT. Is there a poss that the OB/GYN may give me opitions? I read how some of you had said to get the ovaries taken out, with me having the partial hyst and if option is to take the ovariers should I do that? I am very confused and upset and not sure what to believe or to do. Any help from you all I would love.

Connie
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A mass is anything that is not supposed to be growing that is found.  Mass and cyst can be used interchangeably.  If she said cyst then it must have showed up like fluid.  An u/s will give you more detail. Good luck and I will watch for your post after you appt.
Kristie
Helpful - 0
Have they done an ultrasound?  Specifically a trans-vaginal ultra-sound?  My doctor says that is the best test for looking at cysts.  I have a 5 cm mass that is either located on my right ovary (per ultrasound) or between my two normal ovaries & not associated with either one (per CT scan)!  Which to believe?  I'm going for another ultrasound on Friday.

Keep asking questions until you feel comfortable with the answers.
Helpful - 0
The gyn will most likely do an ultrasound.  Have you had a recent pap?  I had cysts leak and I did not have spotting. I think that your problem may linked to your uterus.  The cramping and crowning sensation and irregular bleeding are uterine symptoms.  My doc was sold on my cysts, then convinced I had endometriosis until the lap showed nothing. My cramping between periods and and lengthy periods have me convinced that mine is uterine too but my gyn will not do anymore testing and has given me an option of chemical menopause or complete hysterectomy.  Press hard with your doctor until you get the answers you are seeking and do not dismiss anything because the nurse says what she thinks will happen.  That is why she is a nurse  and not a doctor.  Let us know what happens.
kristie
Helpful - 0
Thanks kristie & Mary, I did have pap last month and the nurse said it came back fine only a bacteria infection which I had meds for. As for the uterus, I no longer have one so I know the cramping and the spotting is not from that. I have not had the spotting for a good month now. Your right a nurse is a nurse and not a doctor. I had the partial hyst because my uterus was bent backwards far and caused pain so they took it out which was okay with me at that time. But with the ovaries gone that does frighten me. I could be jumping to conculsion that I shouldn't be but most of the research I have done say these cyst need to come out and most are done by surgery. In the business I am in I can't afford too much time off.

The other thing I was confused about is I asked the nurse what my CT said and she said "A large mass on the ovary which looks to consist of a cyst". What is the difference of a "MASS" or a "CYST"? Believe me my hubby has many questions written down for me to take on Tuesday. With his bladder and postrate cancer he worries more then I do. I will keep you all posted and let you know what my appt turns out to be on Tues.for what I have read which makes me feel much better, that there is no risk for this being cancer correct?

Connie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.