Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Having Surgery soon, very scared

Hi, I guess I am looking for anyone to help ease my mind.  I Am having surgery next week by a gyn/onc for what I was told was a cystic mass on my left ovary, it is approx. 9cm. My regular gyn was going to do the surgery,she said the u.s. alone did'nt look bad to her, but when my ca 125 came back at 123, she referred me to the other doc.  All other labs ok, ct of abd. didn't show anything more either. i am just so scared I can't sleep, can't eat.  he told me it is still possible to not be cancer, I'm just having trouble coping, I have 3 young children.  Thanks for listening!
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you for your prayers!! My kids are 16 and 13, and know that I have been hurting for awhile now. I know it is hard because yours are younger, but let them know Mom will be ok.  Kids often feel helpless when they can't make it better.  I will be praying for you to gain the strength you need to get through all of this.
Helpful - 0
Dear Carrie, I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts for tomorrow. I guess we must be strong for our kids. I don't want them to be scared. They have kind of picked up that something more is going on.  I have only explained that I have to have surgery. I try to tell them enough but not too much.  they are 10,9,&7.  Please take care,, Shari
Helpful - 0
I am right there with you on the whole fear thing!! I have 2 children, but never have had surgery.  At this point, I am feeling like it might be easier to go in and have another baby.  At least you get to take your baby home.  I am keeping focused on my faith and that I will not hurt anymore.  I am having an 8cm tumor removed and a 5cm cyst on Tuesday. I am VERY scared----and I am wanting to wake up from this nightmare--soon! Please know that you are not alone on how you feel.  There are people that are enduring these same feelings you are having.  This website has brought me a lot of comfort from women who have made it past the point that we are going through.  They are my courage, as well.
Helpful - 0
I am grateful to have found you all.  I just discovered my dear friend joeybubbles has mentioned me earlier this month. My surgery was originally scheduled for Thursday, but when I was referred to the gyn/onc it has since been moved to Saturday.  Since reading the info here though I feel much better emotionally. Whatever the outcome is, I am going to have to deal with it.    Have a Great Easter!!  Sincerely   Shari
Helpful - 0
Hang in there and try to stay calm.  Many of us have been where you are and you will be hearing the reasuring words that 99% of all ovarian cysts are benign.  I had masses on both ovaries and had them removed - both complex - both benign.  The elevated ca 125 can be caused by the cysts alone.  Your doc is doing the cautious thing having the gyn/onc do the surgery.  It is a scary time - I have been where you are - but you will get through this.  Keep us posted.
Helpful - 0
I know how you feel.  I suggest you ask your doctor for a prescription for anti-anxiety medicine so you can cope with your kids. (Like Xanax or Ativan).

I have 2 teenagers.  My mom has ovarian cancer and I'm currently undergoing multiple tests for a 5 cm mass that may or may not be on my ovary, depending which test you believe!  I'm taking Ativan to keep me calm, because I don't want my kids to freak out over nothing.  If it turns out I have cancer I'll have to tell them, but I'm hoping I don't, and I don't want them to worry needlessly.

It's entirely possible you don't have cancer, as many other ovarian conditions like cysts can raise the CA125.  If you're pre-menopausal, the odds are greatly in your favor.  90% of ovarian cysts in pre-menopausal women are benign.  And even if it is cancer, younger women (under age 60) have generally better outcomes than older women.  

Sadly, I know far too much about this disease since I did so much research 2 years ago when my mom was diagnosed.  My mom was Stage 3, she had surgery and 6 months of chemo.  It's been 16 months since her chemo and so far so good!

Good luck and let me know how your surgery goes!
Suzsen
Helpful - 0
120574 tn?1240767840
Stay strong, do not let the fear get the better of you before surgery.  Surgery of anytype is scary.  But I had my surgery in December, and I believe it was much worse than what you may have.  You will get thru it. Do all your research and put things in place so when you get home from the hospital you wont need to do so much in errands.  Good luck and stay in touch.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.