Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Surgery date and worried

They have set my surgery date for May 1st 9am. I am relieved and worried. I am going to be so glad to get this over with and get on with my life, but I have never had a surgery before. The big worry is that the mass is so dence, Im not sure what all that means but I know Im tired of feeling bad for 8 mths. I amd tired most of the time and it seems I keep having BV or yeast infections, my skin around my vag area is so sensitive, and I am bloated and this mass is starting to get very uncomfortable. So everyone here is great and I spend alot of time on this site, I feel conected at least its nice to know your not alone. What should I expect from surgery. My Doc says he will take out mass and right tube and overy if it is cancer he will take everything, but I have women telling me to have hime take my uterus no matter what, Im 43. Whats your thought?  Also with the BV and Yeast Im asuming that its becouse my (flora) or harmones are so messed up, but my poor husband his (balls) are itchy, more than normal I know all men scratch  their balls! could we be passing BV or Yeast back and forth. I hope when this is all over I can feel good again. How long is recovery, and how much pain should I expect? So sorry to go on and on but I think Im really scared. Thanks to you all and Happy Easter!
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I know you are overwhelmed.  I have my surgery(lap) tomorrow morning.  I have been so overwhelmed that the last 2 weeks have been a blur, filled with tears, anguish and worry.  I am so ready for this nightmare to end.
Helpful - 0
My surgery is May 1st am. Im trying to get everything in order at home and at work a little overwhelming, but it keeps my mind busy.
Helpful - 0
when is your surgery scheduled?
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the feed back its nice to know I am not alone. I have been going through this for 8 mths, my first Dr missed the mass and kept treating  the reacurrent infections, she didnt find the mass until 6 mths later when she finally did the pelvic exam. I have since got a new Dr who immediatly said this has to come out. I will be so glad to feel better, I am usually very active, its been hard to feel bad for so long. I hope the recovery is short. Its nice to know so many have been through this and found theirs to be benign, thats what my family and I are praying for. They are not treating my infections as they come and go depending on what my body is doing ( ovulating or menstrating ) so some days I feel better than others, it will be good to put that behind me. If they just take the right tube and overy how long until the left kicks in with more harmones? Will I feel it until it does the job of both? How soon do they make you get up after the surgery and is it painful? Everyone here is so helpful, I will keep in touch until the surgery, probably with lots of questions and concerns, and I will let everyone know when its over. Thanks again. Any input always welcome.
Helpful - 0
I am scared, as well.  I have never had surgery before, and I am scared of so many things!  I know I will stop hurting soon, and will finally be able to discover if this tumor is malignant or benign! I have had the same type of infection as you all discussed; very bizarre because i never had them like this before.  My tumor is 8cm on the left ovary, and a cyst(5cm) on the right. I have fibroid tumors all over my uterus, but my doctor gave me the option of a lap or a hyst.--I am only 38 and was not mentally ready for the hysterectomy. So, he told me that his main concern was getting the tumor out.  I will probably have to have a hysterectomy down the road sometime.
Helpful - 0
YES, clover 1, the answer to that question is yes.  To the best of my knowledge I might never have had a yeast infection, but in the time leading up to the discovery of my large ovarian mass, I had them repeatedly.  Yes, you can transfer the organisms back and forth to your husband.  After my surgery, I went right back to my old self...well...sort of... I had an ovary and tube removed, along with a large complex cyst, with solid components, that was nothing more than a benign endometrioma.  But it was still scary in the days leading up to my surgery.
Helpful - 0
Do you know if I keep getting these because of the large complex cyst? If so then I should feel better after surgery? Thanks
Helpful - 0
BV is Baterial Vaginosis, I understand its when your vaginal PH gets out of wack. Thanks for your response.
Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
ps, As I understand it, the uterus will support other organs...and, if is in good shape, I am not sure why other women are telling you to get rid of it. I recall that a friend of mine sent flowers to her sister after her hysterectomy (can't recall what for, not cancer in this case, though) and on the card she wrote, "you are so lucky...no more periods" or something like that. Hey, it is not a bad side effect from the hysterectomy, but, gosh, there are so many reasons to keep your organs if they are healthy. I am sure you will talk with your doctor about this, though. Hang in there...Mary
Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
Hi Clover, You might get some thoughts/answers regarding the surgery if you check out the thread just a few down from here.This is the thread:

saw the dr today and looks like surgery is on - Braydensmom1006 04/15/2006

I feel silly asking, but what is BV. I just cannot think what it stands for. I do believe that yeast infections can transer back and forth between partners. I am sure someone will be along who can discuss that more directly.

I know you will be glad to be all done with this. Take care, Mary
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.