Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Ovarian Cystectomy

Hi I have recently had an ovarian cystectomy which I might add went fairly well, with only discomfort for about a week.  After my surgery while in the recovery room before leaving the hospital I asked the surgeon if the dermoid cyst was on my right ovary why did he go in through the left side with the incision underneath my bellybutton for the lap and 2 more incisions in through the left side of my abdomin.  His answer was for more room.  I have not had my follow up yet until 6 weeks time.  My big question is the pain that I had in my right side before surgery (approx 3 years)down my leg and out through my backside still seems to flare up.  I was so nervous about the surgery and now in the back of my mind is what if I also had a cyst on my left ovary and he made a mistake and removed that one instead of the dermoid on the right.  WHY REMOVE IT FROM THE OPPOSITE SIDE??  Maybe I am just paranoid because of what a state I was in before the surgery and how much it affected my whole life for about 3 months before the actual day of surgery.

I cannot get in touch with the ob/gyn to ask him, please help and releive my mind.

Thanks Mosset
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello. Your question just jumped off the page at me. For years I struggled with pelvic pain and pelvic congestion, and like you, it would go out through my bottom, down the leg and even the heel. I saw doctor after doctor who diagnosed everything from pinched nerve to mental illness! FINALLY, one day I saw a little tiny blurb in a Cosmopolitan magazine that talked about Pelvic Congestion Syndrome. I took it to my doctor who sent me to the Interventional Radiology Department at Johns Hopkins who did a procedure -- and sure enough, I have varicose veins in my pelvis, kidney, and ovaries. They were able to "disable" the veins and the pain and symptoms were reduced drastically. Now, your ovary cyst and pain may be an unrelated problem. Give it some thought and discuss it with your doctor. Women have been very much underserved in this area -- we aren't crazy, we have varicose veins! Especially if you have a history of bad leg veins and/or sexual abuse, please check it out. Good luck to you.
Helpful - 0
Your surgeon's answer makes sense. Because of the instruments used (cameras and such) room is needed to manuver in there. I would rest assured until you can actually speak to him about it. Mistakes happen, but they are very few and far between. Surgeons are very careful!
Michelle
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.