Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Diagnosed with Huge Ovarian Cyst and Very Scared

I was just diagnosed with an ovarian cyst that is approximately 28 CM in size.  It is mostly fluid but there were a few small "solids".  There is no fluid (or only trace fluid) outside the cyst, and I just went to the gyn/onc surgeon on Thursday.  This was after a cat scan to determine the size of the hernia that I had been diagnosed with (which I do not have)  The gyn/onc believes based on the ultrasound results and my age (39) and history that the cyst is benign. He sent me for pre-op blood work and a CA 125 which I have not gotten back yet.  He scheduled the surgery for this Thursday. He says the "odds are in my favor", but I am scared out of my mind that I am going to have ovarian cancer and leave my two sons that are my whole life.  
Meanwhile, the onc/gyn is ready to shoot all of the doctors who misdiagnosed me.  My gyn saw me in February and I told her that I felt bloated and she told me to lose weight.  I then went to a general surgeon who diagnosed me with a hernia that he was planning to operate on next month.  (Imagine what he would have done when he got in there and found that grapefruit sized tumor instead of the hernia.
Any help, advice or uplifting stories that you ladies can share would be much appreciated.  I have been reading the posts and crying or praying for mysself and for you all.

Baseball Mom
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I also have Xanax- I get myself so nervous at times and I do suffer from anxiety.  I asked the doctor if I could take one the morning of the surgery with a sip of water. Without the xanax I would have wanted to turn around and come home.  It does help.  I know how nervous you are I couln't concentrate on anything a couple of weeks before.  It's the unknown that makes me worse.  I always think of the worst and so I can think about what I'm going to do if the results are bad. My husband disagrees with me. He says to think positive.  I try but lost my mom to breast cancer when I was 30 and lost my father to brain cancer 3 years ago. Thank God everything was fine. I just wish I found this forum before my surgery- these great ladies would have helped me through the anxiety,  I can really get myself worked up.  My results were fine, but I know it's not that much of a comfort to you right now. Remember we are all with you in thought and prayer. Please keep in touch - we are here for you  Kathy
Helpful - 0
Hi, I know your anxious, but as you've heard, 99% of the time these types of cysts are benign. I just had a large cyst removed 3 weeks ago, but had to wait several weeks from the time I learned what I had until surgery. But, I knew there was nothing I could do about it anyway, until they took it out, (and see if it was cancerous or not). I just figured that if the results were not good, I'd just go to plan B. In the meantime, stick with plan A, (good news and then recover from surgery). The posts at this website were of great comfort and really put my mind at ease during that time, especially knowning that the odds were with me. I became very relaxed and even joked about it. As expected, everything was fine and recovery has been great. I'm glad you finally got hooked up with the right doctor and I'll keep you in my prayers for a good recovery. Cindy
Helpful - 0
Hi Kathy,

Thanks.  My surgery is scheduled for this Thursday morning and I am a complete nervous wreck.  I am trying not to scare the daylights out of my two sons that are almost 15 and 12. I decided to take the Xanax that the doctor gave me so that I don't completely lose my mind.  Why is it that when I buy a lottery ticket I never think that I am going to win because I know the odds are stacked against it, but here where the odds are supposed to be with me, I am freaking out!  Until this cyst, which my physicians seem to think is benign, although they say that they can't be sure, I believed that I was this really strong woman who was tremendously capable. Now I am questioning everything that I once believed.  The best thing to come from this so far is e-mailing all of you and hearing your stories of strength and hope that are giving me the faith in the tremendous courage and bravery of our gender!  Can't tell you how I appreciate all of you and how this site has already helped me.
Helpful - 0
It's fine to feel like you do - we all have felt the same way- and still do - it'good to be able to vent to one another withour criticism - we all understand ---so, you know when you are having surgery?  take care and we are ALL here for each other.  Kathy
Helpful - 0
Hi Annette,
Thank you so much.  I have never been so scared in my life and when you all tell me about your positive experiences it gives me so much hope.  Also, when I read what other's have gone through that post to the site it makes me feel like I am being such a big baby.  Thanks again!!!!
Helpful - 0

Hey sweetie,
I had surgery this past Wednesday for a 22-cm growth on my right ovary. It turned out to be benign. One thing that my surgeon told me that I'll pass on to you is this: the LARGE masses are more likely to be benign than the smaller ones. I'll be praying for you.
Annette
Helpful - 0
I know exactly how you feel. I had a 20 cm simple cyst, and it was removed about 7 weeks ago. The tube was also removed. I was shuffled back and forth between the gyno and general surgeon. I saw two gyno doctors. The first one misdiagnosed me, and the second wouldn't believe that it was an ovarian cyst because she never had a patient with one that was that big. It filled my insides, and they could not tell where it originated. The general surgeon was confused about what it was also. Finally, I got the gyno to agree to do the surgery after being put on hold for almost 9 months because of the confusion of the doctors.The bottom line is that I undertand that you are afraid, but after much research on the subject I have discovered that these things are really fairly common, and usually those that grow that large are not cancerous. I often think that some of these doctors have not picked up a medical reference book in years. I have learned more about the subject from the Internet and other women's experiences then I have from any doctor. I really think that you will be fine. I wish you the best!!
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Welcome.  Just to let you know that 99% of ovarian cysts are benign.  Also the ca125 is not a reliable test for premenopausal women.  Anything including a benign cyst can set it off.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Thank you all so much.  It is so great that you are out there and willing to share.  I am praying for you Shari and hoping that everything goes well.
Helpful - 0
I know exactly how you feel, I have a mass/ cyst that is coming out at 7:30a.m. tomorrow. I was a complete mess when I found out all of this. (not that I'm much better now) But everyone here is the greatest at helping you with your fears. I also have 3 young boys and am terrified of what i may find out tomorrow.My ca 125 is 123 so thats a little nervewracking too, but my gyn/onc said that it is not reliable to go by those numbers. I have gained strength from reading here each day, and I am sure you will too. Please take care. We can all pray together.   Shari
Helpful - 0
The vast majority of pre-menopausal cysts are benign, and they can have gunk in them and some get very large.

But the waiting and wondering is torture!  Like you, my biggest fear was leaving my kids.  My daughter told me she was out of toothpaste, and I nearly burst into tears wondering, "If I die, who will buy her toothpaste?"  I ended up calling my dr for a prescription for an anti-anxiety pill (ativan) so that I could function without freaking out my kids. It just took the edge off and allowed me to stop shaking, and to sleep.

I found out today my cyst is benign. I am sure you will get the same good news, and the statistics are on your side!

Hugs,
Suz
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.