Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

WORRIED ABOUT CYST

Hi Ladies

Iam from Australia and am aged 52, my periods have been regular with no problems, no other symptoms either.  Except that three weeks ago my stomach started to bloat in what I thought was the usual pre-menstrual way, but when by the end of the week i appeared to be about 5 months pregnant. doc who sent me for US and then CT scan.  In this three weeks my waist has increased 11 cm and I have put on about 3kg (I do a gym programme and am measured and weighed each week).  I have a huge cyst it measures 16cm x 14cm x 11xm and I think it is increasing.

CT scan says it is a thin walled septated multiloculated cyst, there is no solid mass present, all other pelvic organs appear normal, there is no indication of abnormality in the pelvic lymph glands, it is compressing the bladder and bowel - I am very uncomfortable.  In his comments, the radiologist says it could be a cystadenoma but due to it's size and structure it is likely to be a cystadenomacarcinoma.  Having read asmuch as I can about these cysts, it would seem to me to be of the benign type, so why does he think it is cancer??  is he just covering himselfand having a bet each way???  I saw my gyn on Friday and he sent me for the CA125 and also CEA and CA19.9 which detect colorectal cancer antigens.  I get the results tomorrow - if they are clear he will do the surgery on Thursday (can't come soon enough) if not I have to see and onc/gyn. I have no other sympt am feeling well, not tired, not sick in any way.  Any comments or reassurance out there - feeling very anxious!!

Nola
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Nola,
I am 49 and just had a large cyst removed on Apr. 3. It was 15cm x 15cm x 12.5cm. I also could tell in the last couple of weeks that it was growing and by the time I had surgery, I looked about 5-6 months P.G. Like you, I'm active as I live on a farm and walk nearly every day. But, I think that also helped with surgery and recovery as that has been a breeze. I hope your doctor visit went well and I'll keep you in my prayers. Cindy
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
There are several women here who have had cysts that big and even larger!  Perhaps you should seek a 2nd opinion from a gyn/onc.  Remember 99% of ovarian cysts are benign.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Seems to me that I heard some of those same terms when I was being followed for my cyst.  The gyn oncologist is quite sure it is begnin.  I took mine about 1 year to grow to the size yours has but they knew about it fairly early.  I have had a weight problem for years but have felt bloated and new to pee more frequently which I am sure due to the cyst.  They way I carry my weight has changed as well.  Clothes that fit me at the same weight do not fit at the waste now.  I'm having surgery soon and hope that will help.  Good luck to you as well.
Helpful - 0
Thanks everyone for the supportive comments, just one hour till I see the gyn, so keep your fingers crossed there are no cancer antigens in the blood.
Yes, I can't believe how quickly this thing has come on, just over 3 weeks ago,my tummy was pretty flat - I am extremly fit and go to the gym everyday and that is why I noticed it so quickly, although right now it is a bit hard to miss I look like I'm about 7 months pregnant - none of my clothes fit me.

To answer the other question re toilet problems, I am urinating more often but my bowel habits haven't really changed. There is no history of anything like this in my family, so I am trying to stay confident.  Thanks again for your support, Nola
Helpful - 0
hi nola as I'm sure you've read 99% of cysts are benign you said in the report it was compressing bladder and bowel, Are you having trouble using bathroom either way? If so swelling can be caused by that Please let us know as soon as you can my CT reads alot like yours and I don't have app. til May 3.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.