Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Surgery tomorrow. Qucik question

Hello ladies. Well tomorrow is the day... I want to thank all of you that have helped answer my qestions and calm my fears.
I have one last question. Today is "all liquid" day. My instructions say "clear liquids" I understand this to mean nothing with fiber or chunks of food in it. Is that correct? Please tell me I can have my morning coffee?
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
good morning yes you can have your cup of coffee today but not after midnight even a sip on the morning of sugery can mess up some tests and can make you very nauseous after and believe me you do not want to get sick right after surgery
Helpful - 0
Whew!! Thank you so much. Yes, nothing after midnight.. I am goind to be very cranky tomorrow my surgery isn't  until 12:30.
Helpful - 0
don't go overboard there try not to use sugar if you can  Good luck with surgery tomorrow
Helpful - 0
Actually, when were explaining "clear liquids" to patients prepping for tests we use to tell them anything you can see through.  You can have jello, broths, clear juices(apple, cranberry,etc. No milk .  I had one patient give me a good tip about the yuk taste of broth-plain.  He got chicken noodle, beef vegetabe,  soups, etc. and strained all solids out of them.  I speak from experience and they taste a lot better than just broth from mix or can.  I have been stocking up because I have to do two days prep before my surgery.  I can't stand coffe without milk so I'll probably stick to tea.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
No milk... humm... does powdered creamer count? That is what I use in my coffee... Well I am done with my coffee anyway so I hope it doesn't cause any issues. For the rest of the day its juice and broth (yuk) Wish i had known about the soup trick before I bought the plain ol broth!!!
thank you... Good luck to you as well!
Helpful - 0
132752 tn?1273342273
Thoughts and prayers go with you tomorrow...looking forward to hearing good news from you!
peace,
Anne
Helpful - 0
good luck with your surgery tomorrow - a helpful hint- send someone to a health food store and get SWISS KRISS it is a mild laxative. A nurse from Sloan Kettering in New York City made tea from the tablets/or flakes for me many years ago. After my hysterectomy (1980) I drank the tea  - NO GAS- I have had 3 major surgeries since- I take one tablet when I wake up (hubby keeps it in his pocket) take a sip of water- NO GAS - It does not act as a laxative believe me. I never have a bm in the hospital.

Also anyone who gets sick after surgery (like motion sickness) I always get a pres. for the transoderm patch- put it behind my ear.  I used to vomit and get so dizzy after surgery It was awful.  When I flew to Florida I got the patch and was reading the insert - it stated that it can be used before surgery- checked with each surgeon I've had all gave the okay- Good luck to everyone who is having surgery - all of us on the recovery side will have you in our prayers - we've been there.  Kathy
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
It helps to drink plenty of water the day before surgery too.  Good luck tomorrow.  Look forward to hearing from you on the Recovery Side.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Thank you all for the tips and the prayers, both have and will come in handy. Will let you all know when I make to the RS. I can't wait to be there!!! Good luck to others having surgery.
Donna
Helpful - 0
I had to have the clear liquid diet last Sunday and they told me that I could have jello, chcken broth,beef broth, and any drink you can see through (tea, sprite, 7up,etc).  Good luck tomorrow and I will be praying for you.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
I was too nervous to care about clear liquids but found sucking on a life saver made my mouth feel moist, gsve me a little sugar boost and made me feel just a little naughty--I needed my naughty moments to feel more like me going into surgery. Thinking of your successful surgery and recovery.
Louana
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.