Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Surgical Adhesions

Hi, Joined the forum about a week ago but my post & question was buried pretty deep. (See: "Questions and Answers About Adhesions-Surgical" 4/17, for complete history).  A large cyst was found on my right ovary, (15cm x15cm x12cm) and surgery to remove it was Apr.3. (It was a Dermoid). Because of the size, my right ovary and fallopian tube needed to be removed. I chose to leave everything else in, as we have an otherwise healthy family history of female reproductive organs, and everything else looked great once the doc got in there. Both my kids were caesarean, 22 and 24 years ago, (I am 49yrs.), and I developed adhesions that still bother me to this day, mostly while turning over in bed at night. (Had the bikini cut back then....like I thought I'd ever be in a bikini again!!) I asked the doc if she could do a vertical incision this time around to avoid more adhesion problems, and she did. So, my question is, if anyone has had a vertical incision for a cyst removal, did you have any problems with adhesions and if so, what did you do about it? (I did read about the balls, though. Good idea!!) I have no problems now, (yet??), and the doc says I may not. But I'm curious if anyone else has had the 'vertical' incision for cyst removal and if you've encountered any adhesion problems.
Thanks, Cindy
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Wow, you have been through the wringer, haven't you?! Sorry to hear that you have yet another surgery coming up in May. Hopefully it will go well for you. I find it amazing that in today's world they still have not figured out this adhesion problem. I can't beleive that can't put some sort of disolving mesh in there to block some of that initial scarring. Time for someone to invent something I think! But, thanks for the good info. I've been wondering, and up unitl now, didn't know of anyone who had had the vertical incision. If I develope adhesion pain, (vs healing pain now...I think????), I will also try the ball as well. It sure can't hurt! Thanks again, Cindy
Helpful - 0
Good to know, thanks for the info. And although I referred to the 'vertical' incision, I keep forgetting there is another incision 'inside' and on the right, that may give me problems too. It's hard to know what is 'healing' pain vs possible adhesion pain. My doc says there is little that can usually be done. But, there's nothing like true experiences from others to help map the way. Thanks again, Cindy
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I had laproscopy 3 incisions each one 3 inches long.  My dr. seems to think that along with other issues that I do have adhesions, especially on the left side where the ovary and tube were removed.  The ball is helping somewhat, but have to repeat every few days.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.