Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Severe menstrual cramps after surgery

I had surgery on March 9 to remove a grapefruit size dermoid cyst from my left ovary.  It was so large, they had to take my left ovary also.  I am having my first menstrual cycle since the surgery.  I have been having cramps so severe that my husband wanted to take me to the e.r.   My dr called in some pain med's and wants to see me tomorrow.  I'm wondering if the severe cramps are typical since I have not had a period since February??  One nurse at the dr office said it was normal, another said it was not.   I'm confused and PRAYING that there is nothing else wrong.  I'm only 34 and my husband and I want to have children.
14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had surgery on Dec. 7th, 2009 to remove a watermelon size cyst and my left ovarie and since then I have been having the same exact crams where it feels like there's a knife inside me where my ovarie used to be. It hurts so bad that sometimes I can't move, talk, or even breathe. I heard that sometime the cyst can grow back in the same place and be 10 time more painful... I wonder if that's true... -sarah-
Helpful - 0
I had my lap last week and started my period yesterday.  I had extreme pain last night and have flooded all day.  I have never dealt with this much pain before.  I understand about the pain as it is very intense.  I am taking Naproxyn which seems to bring some relief to me.  
Helpful - 0
I know what you mean, girls.  I have never experienced this much pain, EVER!  
Willowfly - I feel the same as you...the surgery wasn't even this bad!  Isn't that pitiful.  I posted a link on what my doctor told me this morning.  It was pretty helpful.
kah22 - I know how awful it was to go back to work.  They were really good to me at my job about taking the time off.  I was bored at home, and kind of ready to go back after the 4 weeks off.  When the time came to go back, I got a bit emotional b/c I didn't really want to.  I hope your first day back is GREAT!  I'm sure everyone has missed you!
Helpful - 0
I'm 2 months post dermoid and ovary removal(32 and no kids) and my first period was awful, I felt worse than I did right after surgery,  my second period wasn't much better, it was really heavy for a solid week, this is all a big change for me since before my period was light and lasted only 4 days and I never had any cramping, I'm on the pill so I'm hoping things go back to normal soon
Helpful - 0
Do you have Hepatic Adenomas in your liver?  It is a rare condition that develops in 1 in 40,000 women.  I was diagnosed with thtis about 3 years ago while taking birth control pills. My doctor removed me immediately because I  was"feeding" the tumors iwth the estrogen in the pill.  I thought I was going to have to have them removed, but with multiple follow up ultrasounds, the adenomas shrunk.  I was just checking..
Helpful - 0
I didn't realize it was international either.   Well, we'll have to keep each other company.  I'm from Tennessee and in the same time zone as you are.  :)  I wish I would have found this site before my surgery.  I've never been in the hospital for anything before!  Needless to say, I was scared crapless!  I thought I was THE biggest chicken that EVER walked the face of this earth!  I must say, I want to have children, but was scared of that too.  My biggest fears in life were surgery and getting staples.  ha.  Since my surgery, I feel like I can take anything on!  It wasn't near as bad as I was making it out to be, and I had a laparatomy too.  I know most women who post on here sound like they're just as scared as I was....it's just fear of the unknown.  It was not bad at all.  Getting the staples (my dr called them skin clips, that sounds much nicer) out did not hurt AT ALL either!  Once I get this pain and cramping to go away, I'll be a happy camper!
Helpful - 0
I found this site after my surgery. they are the best !!!!  If I had found them before I would had had someone to talk to during the night when I couldn't sleep . I live in NEW YORK (USA) and due to the time zones most would have been awake.  When I first got on this site I didn't pay much attention and didn 't know it was an international site.  I was wondering why  alot of ladies were going to sleep when I was just waking up. You 'guys' are the best support I've had.  good luck to you and keep in touch. everyone on this forum have many experiences and someone can always help.  Kathy
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much ladies!  I am SO glad I came across this site!  It's wonderful!  And so are you all!  I talked to the nurse today and she said the dr on call yesterday (since my dr was out of the office) prescribed Darvaset and 800mg Ibuprofen.  So, hopefully this will help out.  I still had 600mg Ibuprofen left over from my surgery.  I took one of those PLUS 2 advil, and it had absolutely NO effect on the cramps.  So, I took 2 aleve on top of that, and they seemed to subside.  Thank the Lord b/c I felt like I was dying!  The nurse told me to stay on top of the pain by taking advil or aleve every 4 hours.  So, that is what I've been doing.  I won't be able to pick up my prescription until tonight after work.  I have a dr appt tomorrow morning.  I'll let you all know what she says.
Once again, thank you ladies so much!  You have been a great help!!!
Janet
Helpful - 0
I was so afraid of getting a blood test before I got marrried (34 years ago) I used to faint just thinking about it.  Since then I have had so many surgeries IV's that a blood test is nothing.  We really can get ourselves worked up.  I am still scared to death to have any surgery.  I  think the next one is going to be the biggest so far.  I may have to have half of the left lobe of my liver taken out.  The cysts in my liver are so large there is no room for them to grow.  I dread it.   How are you feeling?  I am nervous ging back to work tomorrow only after 3 weeks since my surgery.  I have no sick days left.  Kathy
Helpful - 0
I had a laparotomy at the end of Feb and the 2 periods I've had since then have been terrible but I was told the first 2-3 are the worst and they should get better. I don't know what pain relief you've been given but if you find they aren't helping then you perhaps should see your doc.
Helpful - 0
My first few periods after that surgery were BRUTAL... I mean, if you think about it, you have been messed with in that area to begin with.. so you already sore internally....then the cramps on top of it....
My opinion, it's normal... take it easy
Katie
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Anytime your ovaries are messed with, it will cause some hormonal changes.  Perhaps this could be causing the crampiness.  There are many wonderful and knowledgable women here, I am sure someone will be along shortly.  I know that I am experiencing crampiness 4 months post op.  I have only had 1 period and it was horrible!!  Try to talk to your dr. and see what he/she says.  There has to be a reason for the cramping.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
No, I did not have a D&C.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Did you have a D&C also?  I know this can cause crampiness also.  
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.