Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

I need encouragement....please

Hi:  I posted for the first time last week since getting news I have a 4 in. tumor on my rt ovary and CA-125 of 500.  I am 49 and on Tamoxifen- my periods stopped immediately after starting it but my onco has said I am not yet in menopause.  I have read every single posting on this site- you guys are a great group of women-and I sure could use a few friends right now.  I have two kids, beat breat cancer 2 years ago and I am very scared.  Keep reading that 99% of all tumors/ cysts are benign- but don't find that type of data anywhere else.  With a CA-125 score of 500 AND a mass on my US along with a swollen abdomen- I am trying hard to be optimistic.  I am waiting for an appt with MD Anderson Cancer Center this week to schedule surgery.  Thanks for listening.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
OK, you say that you have not menopaused, right?  Well CA125 is not a reliable test for women who have not paused.  Also, any type of infection or even the cyst on your ovary can cause an elevated ca125.  The ca125 is used as a marker AFTER ovca has be dxd.  Please, keep the 99% in mind.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
To add to Gatsby's posting...my Dr. told ne that smoking, running and a few other things can affect the results of the CA125 test too. Hope you are doing okay!
Helpful - 0
Yes, there are a number of considerations in determining the correct statistic for your situation.  How long have you had symptoms?  What are your symptoms?  How was the mass discovered?  What other details do you have about the mass?

From reading your post, it appears that you do not many severe symptoms, and that you might not have severe symptoms.  Remember that even if the mass is found to be a cancer, the quick discovery of the disease, and the proper surgical removal are just the first two steps to recovery.  It appears from your post that you are working to achieve both of those goals.

And that CA-125 level can be misleading.  Just having the mass, even if it is benign, can raise the level.  Last but not least, when my "complex solid mass" was removed several years ago, I went into surgery believing that I had cancer.  I did not - it was just a benign mass - but I certainly had all the symptoms of cancer.

So, for now, focus on getting ready for your surgery, and if you need to unburden yourself  of worries and fears, feel free to share these with us!
Helpful - 0
I am just awed by the support and caring from this site!  I had symptoms- heartburn & some reflux- that began about 5 weeks ago.  Before then- nothing.  I went to my GI doctor who did endo/ colonoscopy which came back fine so I decided to go see my gyno- a new doctor for me but one who came highly recommended.  At first he said it was definitely gastro since I had just returned from a trip to China and he felt nothing abnormal in the pelvic exam-even though it hurt more than usual.  He sent me back to the GI doctor but I asked him to humor me first and do an US and CA-125- which he did last week.  The GI doctor put me on 80 mg of Nexxium- normal does is 20 mg- and that's when my abdomen really started to feel like it was swelling a bit.  Read this could be an uncommon effect of the Nexxium so I stopped taking it.  Yesterday, my gyno called me to come into his office and told me I had a 4 in tumor and CA-125 of 500.  I don't really like this guy- he was pretty useless with info, frankly, and pretty cold.  Since I knew I was going to a gyno/onco at MD Anderson, I didn't waste my time talking much more to him.  But now my abdomen seems to be getting bigger and I have cramping in my lower abdomen.  This waiting is the WORST!  I was told I definitely would need surgery to know whether malignant or not, etc. which is currently in the process of being scheduled.
Helpful - 0
Please keep us posted - we care- hang in there- I know the waiting is the worst!  Kathy
Helpful - 0
Please keep us posted - we care- hang in there- I know the waiting is the worst!  Kathy
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.