Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Surgery Tomorrow - Ugh

Hi Everybody,

Well it is almost my "big day".  Surgery is scheduled for 1st thing tomorrow morning (7:30 am) and I am scared out of my mind.  Not looking forward to that stupid bowl prep either....
Anyway, my PCP cleared me for surgery, and the gyn/onc who says that he believes my cyst is benign (28 cm, mostly fluid, some solid particles) ordered a CA 125.  The CA 125 result was 22, which is giving me some comfort given the ridiculous size of my cyst. (Should this be giving me comfort since most posts on this site indicate that CA-125 in pre-menopausal women doesn't not have a lot of validity)?
He also said that since my mother had a complete hysterectomy resulting from painful fibroids and endometriosis (no cancer) it is very possible that my cyst may have "some fibroids in it"  Has anyone heard of this?  He also said that if everything is all attached and wrapped in the cyst he may take both ovaries and the uterus instead of just the right ovary and cyst.  Part of me says, take it all so I never have to go through this again (I have two beautiful teenage boys, but don't want more children).  But another part knows that there are other problems associated with removing everything.  What is your advice ladies, you really seem to know a lot.
Thank you for all of your kind words, support and encouragment during what has undoubtedly been one of the worst weeks of my life.  You all are the best.
Michele
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
You are in my thoughts and prayers today!  Look forward to hearing from you on the Recovery Side.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
I can say with certainty I know exactly how you feel. My ca125 was 123, so I had that added worry. i know the first thing I said when they woke me up was "Is It?"  I found it hard not to break down in front of my family, but I did not want them to be scared.  My boys are 7,9, &10.  they were pretty intuitive to know things were not right. But they are relieved to have me home, and see that all will be ok. Be strong, we will all be strong for you too!!     Shari
Helpful - 0
Welcome back Shari!  So glad to hear your great news!  I can't wait until I can report back with my good news as well.  Your husband was a sweetie to post your results, we were all thinking of you.
Helpful - 0
Thank you Shari.  I am so scared I can't even tell you.  I am working on the bowel prep right now which though certianly not fun is thus far not as horrible as anticipated.  I thought that my CA-125 of 22 was great, but my gyn/onc just called to check on me and reassure me and said that even though it was only slightly elevated (2 points) I shouldn't worry because he still believes that it is benign.  I think he was trying to help but my fear seems to be growing by leaps and bounds.  Hearing from all of you helps tremendously and I am really happy that things turned out good for you.  How old are you sons?  My are 12 and almost 15!  Time goes by so fast.
Helpful - 0
Hi, I'm glad I got on today, This is the first time I have been on since my surgery.  I was as big of a mess last week as you are,Just try to relax and have faith that things will be O.K.  I know that it is easy to say when it isn't you.  I found huge comfort in all of the support I received here. I had resigned myself to deal with the results, whatever they may have been.  Thank the lord everything was alright.  I am in pain now, but I can deal with that too. Get lots of rest and be around those you love.  It will be over soon, and all will be well. I will be thinking of you, and praying for you,  Hugs, Shari
Helpful - 0
We will all be with you in spirit!!!! See you on the recovery side. gloria
Helpful - 0
Prayers to you for some sleep and peace if that is possible going into surgery. I wish you well and a good outcome. You are so couragious.
Helpful - 0
Good luck and post to us when you are feeling better on the RS!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.