Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

low blood sugar before surgery

This is SOOO petty compared to what many of you are asking so I apolgize in advance!.. .but just wondering if any of you get dizzy, shakey etc if you don't eat often and on time. I do and I'm a bit worried about this liquid diet protocol/bowel prep before hysterectomy. My blood sugar tends to drop very low if I skip meals, I don't want to faint and scare the family even BEFORE I get in the OR!
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Yes, the liver is extremely important, but most all anyone is ever told is that "alcohol is bad for the liver".  The liver not only produces biles which help the body digest foods, but these help the body remove toxins as well.  And the liver stores 'sugars'; then, the liver can release these when the blood levels drop.
Helpful - 0
I confess that I don't know much about WHAT my liver does so that info was very helpful. Also the info on glucose/sugar in the IV...I will go to the pre-op now forwarned and forearmed. THANK you!!
Helpful - 0
As soon as you are getting ready in pre-op they'll place an IV and off to sugarville you go. However leading up to this you might try a liquid concentrate that runners use. I don't know the name, but they sell it at GI Joes or any sports store. It lasts for 2 hours and only has about 30cc in the small liquid container according to my husband who uses it when training for a marathons. Hope all goes well in surgery.
Helpful - 0
Did you discuss this problem with the staff at the pre-op?  I know that glucose can be administered by IV once you are set up for the surgery.   You have to remember that you will be jittery and nervous prior to the surgery; therefore your liver should be 'dumping sugar'  and you might not have the problems you would suffer on a normal day at home.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.