Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

ovarian nodule

i'm 33 years old, after having a u/s plus an mri, doc's say i have an ovarian nodule. my doc referred me to an a gyn, when i called to activate my referral they said it would be 7-10 days before they could authorize. i thought to myself, cool, they must not think it's anything serious, but today (a day after my doc referred me) the gyn office called and said they want to see tomorrow. my maternal grandmother had ovarian cancer and my sister at the age of 36 had uterus removed due to endometreosis. i just want to know what's going with me so then i can start dealing with it. the unknown is the worst part, but i'm thankful that the doc is getting me in tomorrow. i know my husband is going to be upset, we're military and he's currently in D.C. he went to the mri with me cause he knew that i was starting to get a little worried. any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. oh also as a part of my history, three years ago we tried to become pregnant by invetro, (husband has a vesectomy 15 years prior) that's when they first found a cyst, they invetro was unsuccessful due to the cyst according to the doctor, they drained the cyst to get 20cc of fluid. but now they are calling it a nodule, isn't a nodule the same thing as a tumor or mass? help
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
I was born at the Fort Bragg Army Hospital!!
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I agree with dian, get the 2nd opinion with a gyn/onc.  Also, Walter Reed is a great hospital.  That is where my dad went (also a victim of agent orange).  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
thank you all so much, actually big red is a nickname my husband gave me cause i have alot of red hair lol. actually we are stationed at fort bragg NC, so i'll be going to the hospital on base. i'm keeping a positive attitude cause i know that God doesn't give us anything we can't handle. i'm a pediatric nurse, but not in cancer, i mostly care for children with spina bifida, abuse cases, syndromes ect. and as always with other people health i think clearly, but with my own i feel like a moran. but i am going to take a pen and paper with me to write things down so i can keep everything straight. the doctor i'm seeing today is a gyn/onc. thank you for asking me that so i could check it out before i got there. i know i'm trying to stay positive but i can't help to feel scared and nervous, it's just human. i'll keep in touch and again thank you all so much for your support, this really helps.
Helpful - 0
All those terms are interchangeable...I would strongly suggest you request the opinion of a gynocological oncologist....cysts, tumors, nodules, masses are all the same thing and are their specialty .....you want the best and  YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE TO GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME....and you need to get it right the first time for the best prognosis...knowledge is power so arm yourself well...you are facing a series of tests..get a print out of all your results and reports..learn to understand them so you and your husband can ask questions that will allow you to know what is going on...a smart, educated patient gets the best treatment...you guys know that. This is only the beginning of your journey...gather as much info as you can, find a gyn/oncologist you like and go from there..empower yourself with knowledge and you will be able to deal with whatever lies ahead..
The Big Red One can handle anything...my dad was commander of the Big Red One before he died from agent orang in 1982...Major General James R Henslick....the wife of a soldier is also a soldier...please stay in touch....are you at Walter Reed...I will be watching for you.....
Peace be with you and your family
dian
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.