Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

PID confirmed...Is there anyone else on the forum with it?

I saw my GYN today and I asked if my condition had a name.  He said I had Pelvic Inflammatory Disease.  
I asked if the dormant Shigella Flexneri could be responsible, and he said it could be, but there was no way of knowing for sure.
We talked for ages, and I asked about alternatives to surgery.  He is of the opinion that there is no non surgical solution to my situation; and whilst he is not forcing me to have a hysterectomy, he says that is the only 100% cure for my PID.

It would seem, like it or not, that the hysterectomy will happen; it is just a matter of how long before I relent and consent.
I had to laugh today when he said he did not want to force me into it.  He said he had enough work and did not need the practice...LOL!...He has a quiet / amazing sense of humour.  He did say however, that it was a question of quality of life if I did / didn't have the hysterectomy, as the pain is debilitating / excrutiating and becoming more and more frequent.

I am also wondering if there is anyone else who had been diagnoses with PID, on this forum.

Take care and may God keep you all safe and well, and help those of you preparing for / recovering from, surgery.

icey
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you for your input!
I am sorry you had PID twice, but I am so pleased you were able to treat it with antibiotics.  I am sorry you also were diagnosed with endo.  It certainly is a debilitating condition.
I don't have endo at this point. I had a laparoscopic procedure on March 21, and discovered I had PID and my fallopian tubes are many times larger than they are supposed to be, and pus filled.  I have been having 'attacks' for over a year now, and since November, I have had 4 extremely serious trips to the ER  (with minor episodes in between); and a laparoscopy / D&C / Hysteroscopy.  I have been treated with two courses of antibiotics since my op and ended up at the ER on Good Friday and Easter Saturday, with other attacks.  Nothing seems to be helping this.  In fact, the episodes are getting more frequent, and I hate having to take a billion tablets a day, to no real effect.
My GYN doesn't want to force me into anything, but has told me that this is the only cure for 'me'. (I say 'me', because every case is different.)  He can't imagine me going through this for the next 10-20 years.  I have been exploring my options and don't want an op, but now know it will happen.  I just have to relent and consent...might take a while.

God bless you and your loved ones.

icey
Helpful - 0
Hi. I just wanted to tell you that twice I have had PID. Neither time was it std related. All I was given were antibiotics and it went away. I have recently been diagnosed with endometrious. The only way that can be determined 100% is by laproscopic surgery which I had to remove 2 cysts. Thats how he found the endometrious. The reason I'm telling you this is because the symptoms of endo. are often mistaken for PID. You need to ask your dr. if that is a possibility before you have a hystorectomy. I hope the info helps.
Helpful - 0
My sister had PID.  It was not STD related but I do not know what bacteria caused it.  She was on antibiotics for a while and spent 2-3 days in the hospital.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Hi xrayu2,
Thank you for your support, it is certainly appreciated.
I am not sure; when you say your sister stayed in hospital 2-3 days, did she have a hysterectomy or was it an intense IV course of the anti-biotics?  I certainly hope her quality of life improved.
My PID is not STD related either, so it certainly makes it harder for them to determine the exact cause.  I am not sure if you saw my other thread, but I explained in there about having Shigella Flexneri as a toddler, and the doctor's said it could lay dormant in my sysyem indefinitely.  I then saw a CSIRO article which said about rare cases of PID, and Shigella flexneri was mentioned, and so my doctor is not ruling it out as a possible cause.

Take care and God bless you and your loved ones.

icey
Helpful - 0
Hi NikkiPoo,
I am sorry to hear you are having a hard time with doctors/your condition and DH.    
I'm sorry to say (for you), that my Dr. is not in the USA.  I am in Tasmania, Australia.  He is the most wonderful Dr. you could hope to come across.  He encourages you to explore your options.  He listens to every concern you may have with sincere interest, and goes through every one with you.  He does not rush you out of the surgery after 10 minutes.  If you need more time, then you get it.  Would that there were many such Dr.s in this world.

I pray you find the care and attention you need very soon; and that your hubby is back on his feet very soon.

God bless you both.

icey
Helpful - 0
Just curious, is your doctor in South Florida? He sounds wonderful! I have had the worst luck with doctors & trying to find a good one, I'm going on 7 months since the first doctor said I had to have surgery/removal of right ovary (left one?) and possible endo but of course he said he wouldn't do my surgery because he considered me high risk (Polycystic Kidneys & high blood pressure). Although I had an appt. the first week of February with a doctor that one of the lovely ladies on this site recommended but my bonehead dh fell off a ladder and fractured his heel so to this day he is still on crutches & cannot stand on that foot yet, hopefully two more weeks.  Soooo my problems have been put on the back burner to take care of him.  Anyhoo I pray that all goes well for you.  :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.