Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Does Ascites always mean OVC???

I know that until I get my next doctor's appt/ surgery scheduled, I will be driving you guys crazy- so SORRY!  I went to my gyno to pick up copies of my test results to take to MD Anderson and the report shows I have a 10X6X7 cm mass and ascites in my pelvis and under the liver.  What does this mean? Likely cancer?- Rachael
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Has anyone found anything for the relief of edema/ascites related to advanced ovarian cancer? My mother is really suffering and it's breaking my heart. None of the doctors seem to have anything to relieve the edema in her legs. We get her abdomen drained once a week, but her lower legs and feet are incredibly painful. I want to help her but don't know what to do. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?
Helpful - 0
Ascites occurs because something foreign is taking space in the abdominal cavity. I am sure they will drain and take pathology but it does not alsways mean cancer.  Some doctors jump to that conclusion because it is often seen with cancer.  Good luck and let us know what youfind.
Helpful - 0
82818 tn?1206989814
Doesn't that just make you scream. The first problem I had and still have is a liver problem (fatty liver and Hep-C) That is the same reaction I got. Like when did you do street drugs and are you still drinking? I have never done drugs and as for a drinking the youthful thing teenager do. I was mortified and left the state to find a liver transplant center come to find out my sister had a problem and I knew my mother did before we where born. If can be past on blood to blood you can't get more blood to blood than through the umbilicord. So now I have no problem in firing a Dr. Anyway I'll get off my high horse and make my point. It's easy to get ascites in the bad. area  for many reason. If you get a feeling somethings just not right got to another Dr. This site has help me so much. And arm yourself with your own research. Which you probably do already.
Helpful - 0
Ascities in the abdominal area can also be caused by alcohlism(liver), food poisoning ..  When first diagnosed I went to the ER to get me ascites drained before my surgery for some comfort and a Dr. came in and basically accused me of being a Alcoholic and I told him that I had just been diagnosed with OC and he was so embarrased he left the room and minutes later the Nurse came in with a shot of Morphine, which I declined. He did come in much later and apologize. I really wasn't mad. We all jump to conclusions and like him usually wrong!
Helpful - 0
Ascities is an accumilation of fluid.  Called Edema anywhere else in the body and ascites in the abdominal area.  Just a medical term and not associated with cancer itself.  You are in my thought.
Helpful - 0
Your tumor was benign- awesome!  What was your CA-125?
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much!  The WAITING is worse than anything physical.  I was referred last Monday to MD Anderson Cancer Center- I am fortunate to live it its backyard- and they cannot see me for evaluation until 5/4!!  I'll be looney by then- and making everyone around me crazy...Rachael
Helpful - 0

I had a huge cystadenoma which is a bening ovarian mass. I also had sscites. So don't let that fact alone scare.
Best,
Annette
Helpful - 0
I am not familiar with the ascites.  Isn't that free fluid?  

I did not have free fluid, but I did have a nice big alien like yours that was complex.  And it turned out completely benign.  And remember, no matter what they see on preliminary tests, 99% of all cysts are benign.  Make that your mantra!

I do know that some free fluid is completely normal (physiological is how it was phrased on my reports) due to bursting of functional cysts.

Keep your chin up and ask away. I think this list is the only thing that has kept me sane lately.
Cathy
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.