Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Will I be out by Mother's Day?:-(

I'm having open surgery on Friday, May 12th to remove the large cyst. I think it'll be similar to a c/s. I'm really hoping to be out of the hosoptal by Sunday, the 14th morning/afternoon. It's Mother's Day and my family is going to my aunt's to bbq. The kids will be swimming and I really don't wanna miss seeing my baby (3.5 months) swim for the first time. Will it be possible for me to get out that early and if so, will I even be alert enough to go watch them swim?

wdyt?????
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had my surgery at 9:00am on a Tuesday and went home Wednesday at 6:30 PM after just removing my cyst, one ovary, and tube.

On Thursday, I slept the entire day.  I would get up to go to the bathroom, and then be so tired that I would go take a nap.  I even ate my meals in the bed.  Also, just driving in the car to your aunt's house is going to be too hard on you.

One recommendation, on the way home from the hospital, have a blanket and a pillow in the car.  Use the pillow to put across your tummy under the seatbelt.  It is amazing how many HUGE holes there are in the road that jostle your belly... Okay, maybe they were only 1/2 inch deep but they hurt anyway!

Hugs! Cathy

Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
That is way too soon to be doing anything.  You are going to be so out of it with the pain meds, you won't even realize you are at the party!  See if they can postpone it!
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Boy you really don't want to push yourself.  They send you home way too soon as it is - give yourself the time you need to heal - that is what is best for you and your family.  Take it slow and be patient which I know is sooo hard to do.
Helpful - 0
By "open surgery" I assume you mean not a laparoscopy.

I've had 2 c-sections and a hysterectomy.  Ask your family to postpone the party, because you are not going to be there 2 days post-surgery.  You'll probably be released from the hospital on Monday or Tuesday, and it will be a while before you feel like travelling in the car or sitting up for long periods of time.  

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if they know this in advance perhaps your family can re-schedule a few weeks later and celebrate your recovery!
Helpful - 0
I had surgery on a Wed and went home that Friday...but in reality, that would be pushing it...why don't they put Mother's Day celebration back one week in order to honor "MOM"...that would be YOU....just a thought.
Peace and an early Happy Mother's Day.
dian
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.