Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

How common are delays in chemo?

Im 'concerned' - well, more than usual.

My moms second treatment was delayed a week because of the blood clots...then when she did have the treatment, it was reduced 10%.

Now she is supposed to have her third treatment, but because they have to get the coumadin dosage just right to thin her blood some more, they will delay the treatment 2 days.

Are delays very common?  Does a few days or even a week make a difference?

What about reducing the dosage of the chemo 10%?  Is THAT a big deal? Will they make up for it later?

Anyone?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
110491 tn?1274481937
I have read in an OvCa book by the John Hopkins clinic that a delay of 1 week is not that big a deal, they do it sometimes even for non-medical reasons, like when someone needs to attend a wedding or graduation. My team however really wanted me to stay on schedule. I was lucky, I stayed on schedule with a full dose.

But everyone is different, and I met a lot of women in my chemo suite that had delays of three or more weeks...I find it amazing how close an eye they keep on you to make sure the chemo doesn't kill you. Always found that reassuring. The oncologists want to beat the cancer as bad as the patient does. If they delay a treatment, I assume they have a good reason.
Helpful - 0
Hi Dian,

Anguish doesnt even begin to describe it.  She is the most important member of this family.  I want 10 more years with her - Id like to think this is possible.

Its great that these days they have the meds to boost the red and white counts...also meds to help with nausea.  People must have really suffered in the past with these treatments.

My mom says she feels pretty good and the doctor said she looks good.

I just hope that chemo is working.  What happens after the 6th treatment?  Should they do another session or two due to the delays?  Is there a pill that is like a "maintenance" chemo?
Helpful - 0
Neulasta....thats for the low white counts, right?  Well I can tell you here in New York, and Im guessing probably most of the States, that ONE injection of neulasta costs about 3,000 US Dollars...probably very close to the same in Euros, so yes it is very expensive.
Helpful - 0
Hi there,
Don't worry,it seems quite usual.With this lot of chemo,I never make it on time,my longest delay has been two weeks! My white blood counts are always low  and I've had four cycles now,only my first one was on time.Had my 4th cycle Thursday and that was 10 days late,but my ca125 is still coming down.I'm in England and they aren't so keen over here to give you Neupogen (Neulasta) shots,so if you can make it without them,they let you.
Probably down to cost knowing our lot over here.
Sue x
Helpful - 0
Your mom's medical team is trying to fine tune her treatment to meet her specific needs...I would be concerned as you are but a treatment that is too aggressive for her could creat all kinds of trouble.  You don't want that either...they are weighing the benefit vs harm to your mom...I am certain they care for her too...of course, she is not their mom but they are caring people and they want her to get better just as you do.
I've been here since your first post...I can hear your anguish in every post...I know you love your mom...just make the best of every minute you have with her....we all need to learn to live in the moment....every moment we don't cherish is left in the past and wasted...don't waste the moment....if you can do that...you will become a very rich man....and your mom will also find peace and riches.
Peace be with you.
dian

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.