Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

So...what if it IS cancer?

Hi ladies. I'm Becky (26). I posted before about my large (10cm) cyst that they *think* is a dermoid. I am having it removed on May 12th. I've heard the statisctics and I know 99% of cysts are benign. But, my question is, what if I am the 1% and it is found to be malignant? I have 2 little kids and am scared to death of chemo and radiation and the effects it would have on me trying to take care of my children. If a cyst is removed and found to be cancer, what do they do. Would the removal of the cyst be the end of it, or do you have to go through cancer treatment afterwards? Excuse my ignorance, but I know nothing about cancer. I am trying to look at the positive side and assume it's benign but I can't help but think of the slight possibility of malignancy.:-(

Thanks for any input!

Becky
mommy to Cole (6) and Milo (3 months)
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Becky,
I totally feel for you. I'm 34,mother of 8mos old boy and a 3 year old girl with a 8cm mass on my rt. ovary-surgery tuesday-my dr. is highly suspicious that it is cancer. i feel for you cause i'm scared to death too. Let's pray for each other to accept God's will and have strength.  I lost it a couple of times in front of my daughter-it's ok to do that i think. They know we are human. I will pray for you.
Helpful - 0
Hey, kiddo...listen to those two ladies...they are both wise and experienced....their advise is right on!
Peace.
dian
Helpful - 0
I know that I use to be a "what if" type of person.  I read some advice that has helped me a lot.  You are already doing part of it.  It said if you are really worrying about something, think of the worst case scenario and how you would handle it.  The best part is that the actual thing is usually never as bad as what you have imagined.  This has helped me put many worries to bed and not waste time on them.  I know that worrying about cancer is a lot bigger issue.  I am waiting for surgery for a 20cm complex ovarian cyst.  It has been put off once by the doc's due to scheduling problems.  I figured why worry because I can't do anything until after the surgery.  I firmly believe in the fact that the odds are greatly in my favour.  I still have moments of "omgod" but they pass quickly and get on with living.  I find keeping busy helps.  If I have stuff(housework, crafts, good book, etc) they keep my mind occupied.  Hope this helps a bit.
Helpful - 0
Last week I was in your shoes, I had bilateral cysts/masses and an elevated ca 125,  I had a complete hysterectomy done on Saturday last week by a gyn/onc.  Thank god it was endometriomas.  I was petrified, I have 3 young children and it scared the daylights out of me.  I admit I had times I thought I would lose my mind.  I tried to keep my composure around my kids I did not want them to be scared(even though I was) I was not a extremely spiritual person before, but i am a believer in prayer now!!I never prayed for it not to be cancer, I prayed for the strength to deal with whatever was handed to me instead. I knew I could not change the outcome of the surgery, only how I would deal with it!  I was not going to take it lightly, but fight with all the power I could.  your children need you, find your inner strength through them, whatever it will be, be prepared to do all you have to!!  I will pray for you, like the great women here did for me, Shari
Helpful - 0
If it is in the 1% (which is really rare at your age) it would depend what stage it's at.  

For Stage I (all contained in the ovary) you might not need any more treatment.  If it's Stage 2 or 3 (outside the ovary) you'd need chemo.  I don't think they do radiation very much for ovarian.  Chemo is icky but not as bad as it used to be, they have other drugs they give you to combat nausea and lowered red and white blood cell counts.  My mom went through it and it wasn't fun, but after 6 months she was done and the side effects went away, and she has her life back!

But don't put the cart ahead of the horse.  It's probably benign, and think how good you're going to feel when you know that for sure!

I don't want to sound like a druggie, but I tell people to ask their doctor for an anti-anxiety prescription (like Xanax or Ativan) to help you stay calm and "normal" for your kids. You'll only need it until May 12th when you get the good news that all is well. If it weren't for Ativan I'd have had very little sleep these past few weeks!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.