Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Ovary abnormalities

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 weeks ago.  I am 40 and this was my first mammogram.  They found 2 areas of DCIS and a tumor that they believe is about 1.2 cm.  I am scheduled for surgery on May 11 (bilateral skin-saving mastectomy, sentinel biopsy on both sides, axillary dissection as necessary, and immediate reconstruction.

I aslo had bone scan (negative) and a chest x-ray (negative). I had a CT of my abdomen that showed a possible abnormality on my liver.   So I then had a pet scan that showed the liver was okay but showed something on my right ovary. I then had an ultrasound which was negative, a blood test which was negative, a breast cancer marker test which was negative, and an ovarian cancer marker test was negative. Still not satisfied, I had another CT of my pelvis area.  The results were inconclusive as to my right ovary. They see 2 spots, one they believe is a cyst and the other they describe as a density. Now they want me to see gynecological oncologist and potentially have a transvaginal ultrasound performed this week.

My first question is what is the likelihood that the ovarian issue is cancer spread from the breast cancer? It seems very, very unlikely from what I have been reading but nothing seems to make sense anymore.  Second, if it not a spread but rather a separate instance of ovarian cancer, how should it be
approached?  I don't want to put off the mastectomy and reconstruction.  Finally, since I will likely have chemo and hormonal therapy for the breast cancer, would additional therapy be necessary if this is ovarian cancer?  Thanks!
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I can't help you as I haven't had any experience with this area, but the ladies on this site are fantastic, and someone will be along soon to help. I want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Helpful - 0
Hi, I had just about the same breast cancer diagnosis as you two yesrs ago this month.  I had a 1 cm tumor and DCIS in my right breast for which I had a lumpectomy & sentinal node biopsy (actually 3 lumpectomies to get to clear margins) and then 8 weeks of radiation.  The sentinal node biopsy will tell if the cancer is in your lymph glands (mine were clear, so no chemo).  I would find it hard to beleive that such a small tumor plus DCIS would have spread to your ovaries.  If it is a seperate instance- also seems pretty unlikely- I am not sure if the same chemo/ hormone drugs treat both.  I have a tumor on my ovary, waiting for a surgery date to get a biopsy, but I also have a call into my breast cancer oncologist to ask about the hormone therapy (Tamoxifen) that I am on.  I expect to hear from her on Tuesday; I'll ask your question as well.  You are in my prayers.  Rachael
Helpful - 0
I have an Aunt & Cousin (mother/daughter) on my mothers side that have both had breast cancer & my cousin also had an ovarion cyst/cancer that the doctors said was not related to the breast cancer. I am happy to say that both of them are over the 5 year mark with no further problems/recurrances. My Aunt had one breast removed and chose not to have reconstruction, my cousin had a double masectomy with reconstruction and she loved showing everyone her new boobs... I wish you the very best..
Helpful - 0
It's entirely possible that you have ovarian cysts that are benign along with your breast cancer.  Some women have pain from cysts, others never know they're there until a gyn finds them on exam or they show up on an ultrasound that was done for another reason.  The vast majority of ovarian cysts are benign, but I don't know what the stats are for cysts when a woman has breast cancer.  The transvaginal ultrasound will probably be the best way to see what the spots are without surgery.  Then your gyn/oncologist could advise you from there.

Good luck, and let us know how you're doing!
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Welcome!  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.