Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Question for Tascha

I remember in a post way back that we talked about other sleep meds and anti anxiety and you said that they gave you ativan?  Is that correct?  How long have you been on it?  Is it addictive?  I am going to call my doc this am and tell her I need something till the hormones get figured out.  I have lunesta but it isn't really helping because I feel so anxious during the night - heart racing sweaty etc.  So I have been thinking about getting that but couldnt remember what you said it was and can't find the post!!!  Thanks!
Debi Downer (my son is calling me that now trying to make me laugh)
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have been taking Ativan, nightly for the past 8 months.  Just last Thursday, I asked my gyn/onc if it was OK to stick with it, because I was concerned about addiction.  She said if it helps, stay on it.  It really helps me calm down.  I have just begun my 2nd Line chemotherapy with Topotecan.  I pray you can get some relief.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the answer.  I have heard that it does help a lot with the sleep stuff.  I tried zoloft when I was going through thryoid cancer treatment but it made my sleep worse.  Now, while I am adjusting to the ovaries out it is really bad and I am getting so edgy I can hardly function.    I do worry about the addiction but from what I have heard, as long as you taper off it is fine.  Have you had to increase the dose at all because the original dose wasnt working?   Glad to hear it is helping you and hope this next hurdle goes well for you.
Helpful - 0
Hey Dawn - good to hear from you!  We should get together for coffee sometime!!!  Ok just made the call to the doc and left a message - it is really bad when you have to tell them what you want to do.  My blood levels show my estrogen is in the tank yet she won't tell me to increase the dose!  So I just called and said "I am increasing the dose and I would like a script for ativan till I get this figured out".  I NEED SLEEP!!!!  How are you doing?
Helpful - 0
I am so brain fogged I am calling you by each others names.  Since you are both nearby I got mixed up - (so easily confused these days).  But yes, we should all hook up for coffee since we are close.  Linda, I have had constipation and hemeroids as well (yes...I have it all!)  I wonder if that is another sign of low estrogen.  
Dawn I am glad you are back.  How are you feeling?  Did you get an appt with the new doc?  I have a call in to one on that body logic site so we will see.  Ok sorry for the mix up.  I was teasing my best friend last night and told her that if I forgot her name to not take it personally - I still recognize her face!
Deb
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Hey there, just saw your post.  Actually my dr. prescribed me Lorazapam 0.5 MG.  This is an anti-anxiety med.  I can take up to 3 per day, however, I just take one at night (around 8:00pm)  It seems like my anxiety level is greater at night (you know when it is dark and everyone is asleep and then your mind goes crazy and your heart starts beating a mile a minute and you know for sure that this it!).  Also it does help me sleep and I don't feel groggy in the am.  My dr. told me that fluctuating hormones can cause your anxiety levels to rise!  It has helped me tremendously!!  Getting a good night's sleep will work wonders.
Hope this helps!
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Well then we should be on the same page and activan should work the same way as the lorazapam.  Since I only take it at night, I really don't think it is a problem - as it has helped me get a good night's sleep!  
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Thanks Tascha - yes they are the same thing.  How long have you taken it?  Does the same dose still work.  Gosh you are so right about the night just being the worse.  During the day I can get busy with my work and not think too much but at night my whole body just seems to rev up.  I know for a fact that fluctuating hormones can do it.  When I had my thyroid removed it was the same thing and it took me a year to get over it. NOW THIS!!!  

Linda, Dawn lives in NW Indiana but says she comes to chciago all the time.  Email me d_rickert***@**** and lets see if we can meet somewhere sometime for a cup of (decaf) coffee!  

I have been researching all morning trying to find something to get me past this.  My life is so busy right now with so much going on that I feel like I will really lose it if I don't get this under control. This is just not a convenient time for me to be losing my mind!!!!
Thank God for all of you.  I was a little nervous asking this question because I did not want to invade anyone's privacy but I know we had talked about it before so I thought it would be ok.  Thank you all for being so open and honest.  It helps tremendously to hear your stories.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I have been taking it about 1 1/2 years - about the time my dermoids started growing (this is my theory).  That is when my hormones started going nuts.  Would you believe that right after surgery when I was in tempory surgical menopause - and had no hormones, the anxiety left and I did not need the Lorazapam.  Since my little remnent of an ovary decided to start working again, my hormones are out of whack again and so the anxiety has returned!  
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.