Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Question on BC pills

Probably a dumb question, but my gyn's office had me speak to a nurse that really didn't clear up my questions.
When this cyst was diagnosed, they put me on Yasmin to see if it shrunk the original cyst and to keep others from forming. The Yasmin made me completely wacky. I'm normally pretty laid back, and I would either start crying or screaming for absolutely no reason. So I asked about switching to something different since it was obvious that the Yasmin and me did not get along. So gyn gave me Seasonale (I liked the idea of only 4 cycles a year since my cyst hurt more during a cycle than any other time...and I'm not nearly as nuts on it). The packet of info says that around the time you would normally start taking placebo pills with a regular BC pack, you can have some spotting, light bleeding, etc. It doesn't say how long it can last, though. Before the cyst I was always regular, every 28-29 days like clockwork and could map the blasted cycle from day one (normal cycle was 5-6 days). But on this stuff I'm still having light bleeding or the icky brown stuff, and it's been 10 days. On the Yasmin, once I started taking the pills again, if I was still on a cycle, it would stop.
I'm still taking the pills at 11pm every night, but this persists. Does anyone know about these pills and if this is something that normally occurs? Or is this a side effect of the cyst?
Any advice would be more than welcome.
~Mare
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks! I appreciate the prayers.
Now I'm just worried that I'll still be on it in two weeks when they do my sx! Still have a month and a half to go on the first 3 months of Seasonale... maybe I should just buy stock in pantyliners (ha!) :)
~Mare
Helpful - 0
The spotting is from the pills.  It is usually recommended that you do three cycles of any new pill to see if your body adjusts, but break-through-bleeding is a common side effect of some of the pills.  If you can't tolerate it then ask for another formulation from your doctor.
Louana the midwife
Helpful - 0
One of the main reasons women stop a type of pill is because of the bleeding.  The bleeding doesn't mean that you're not protected--you are, it just that the formulation isn't right for you.  No reason not to try another.  Thinking of you as you head toward the 17th.
Helpful - 0
Thanks Louana...
My main concern is that something wasn't working, because it's been almost two weeks now of the same thing. The dosage is working (because they're no longer calling me wacky), but apparently my body insists on a regular period. It's getting really debilitating too, since the symptoms of the cyst are worse during the cycle, and it's now been going on for over 10 days instead of the usual 5 days.
Just to add to it all, the naproxen is giving me heartburn. *sigh* Part of me wants it to be the 17th and have the sx done, and the other part of me is terrified by the surgery and wants to run and hide. (sorry for the vent...)
Helpful - 0
If your dr's office wasn't helpful, perhaps your pharmacist?  Or is there a website or "contact us" in the info that came with the pills?  Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.