Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

hyst site

I checked out the hyst site and I have to give the moderator some credit for not pushing hysterectomies.  I really wanted to keep my uterus if it was disease free and I think that too many doctors have a cavilier attitude toward women's parts being expendable.  So--my 2 cents.
Louana
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
I too am facing a hyster. and I am glad I am here and not on the Dark Side.  Just a little too intimidating and frightening.  I prefer the company of women who have compassion and have walked the walk.  This site Rocks!
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
I'm 43 and debating removing both my ovaries due to a cyst and a family history of ovarian cancer.  How bad was it when they suddenly took yours out?  Are you able to take hormones, and if so are they helping?
Helpful - 0
I do agree with you that my doctor totally downplayed how difficult having my ovaries out would be.  Her words (yes a female) were that at my age (46) they would be shutting down soon anyway and then I wouldn't have to worry about ovarian cancer.  I don't know if it was the right thing to do or not - I know it is very difficult right now - still, I think they could use a kinder gentler approach!!!
Helpful - 0
I'm 31 years old, and just had my last ovary removed 2 weeks ago.  I was able to start HTR one week after surgery.  So far it has not been bad.  I had a partial hysterectomy when I was 25, and left ovary removed last May.  It has been the best thing for me, but you know your body best.  Use your instincts, and you will make the best decision for you.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
I was very fortunate.  My doctor said he would do everything in his power to spare me surgical menopause (since I am only 33).  I had stage 4 endo, so he had to take the severely damaged ovary and tube out, but he kept the other one in, even though he said it really "could" have come out.  He also gave me information about the pros and cons of having a hysterectomy when this all started, and sent me home to think about it, so I never felt any pressure one way or the other.  If I did, that probably would have been a red flag for me and would have prompted me to get a second opinion.  There really isn't a right or wrong answer here because everyone's circumstances are different.  What disappointed me about the other forum is that they were deceptive in their approach, and it was not fair to those who were searching for opinions that support both sides of the story.  All that being said, I am glad I found this site first :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.