Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

im worried and scared

hello im new at this.. im 15 years old and my doctor said that i have 1 dermoid in both of my ovaries. im going to get operated soemtime in the middle of june. im really scared... i was having a little pain on thursday,friday,saturday,and sunday,and also on monday... it felt like cramps..i hadnt had my monthly so i was scared that my dermoids were stoppin my monthly n a way... but on tuesday i got my monthly and i was having bad ramps..well i think they were cramps..but im not sure...is it normal for my belly 2 inflamate? n 2 have pain n my pelvic during my monthly???
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
Hey girl, I know what you are feeling, although I am much older than you, I too had two softball sized dermoids removed 12/21/05.  Don't fret, 99% of ovarian cysts, tumors and masses are Benign.  You are young and that is a good thing!  You will heal much faster than us older women.  Hard as it is, try not to worry.  If you feel scared and need a place to go, come here - we will wait with you and listen and share our experiences.  You are not alone.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
I can definately relate to your worries, I am 19 and have multiple cysts on my right ovary.It was a shock to me when I found out too. Although,I should have suspected because these have been found in my grandmother,both of my aunts, and my mom had to have a hysterectomy.I do understand you fears tho I am experiencing them myself and I just wanted to let you know that this is a really great site and everyone here really helped to calm my nerves, and also to let you know that I will keep you in prayers .
~scarlett~

p.s. I have swelling and horrible cramps also ...I am going to assume thats normal but I am not certain . alot of info is available on the web tho. kk have a wonerful day and dont worry to much !
Helpful - 0
How scary to face this at 15!  Hopefully your doctors can do a laparascopy, it's the surgery with the smallest incision and fastest recovery (and least scars).  Like everyone else said, dermoid cysts are benign and you'll be fine when it's all over.  Keep us posted and don't be afraid to ask questions of us, your doctors and your parents!
Helpful - 0
HI , My 11 yr old daughter was thought to have a teratoma{dermoid} in her ovary and it was 6x6x8 and she lost 20 lbs in a yrs time!Cancer was on everyones mind due to her symptoms. We thought it was from her PTC and her spinal tap complications. She started her period at 10 and had always been regular. Imagine our surprise when the dr did an US and found this.
When they did her surgery though they found it to be a complex cyst and it was benign. She was spared from invasive surgery and did not have to have a hysterectomy as they had thought. Scary thought for us.  

The odds for teratomas to be malignant are only 1% I believe . Do research on these and you will find a lot of info on this.

Helpful - 0
I know where you're coming from being worried and scared.  I was too!  I'm 34 and have NEVER had any broken bones, been in the hospital or anything.  I was so scared, since I'm the biggest chicken in the world.  My belly did get larger as the dermoid grew.  Good thing, as you will find out from Tascha, 99% of cysts are benign.  I know that doesn't help the fact that you'll probably have to have surgery.  Be thankful that your dr found it early and will more than likely be able to do it laparscopically (sp?).  That's the good thing!  Keep all of us updated.  You'll be fine!  :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.