Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Down in the dumps

Ok quick question how many of you are going through depression?  I am three weeks Post OP from the 3rd surgery, most recent for emergency surgery for removal of the right ovary due to it twisting.  I am now 3 months out of work and 3 months stuck in the house. Was just driving and getting out 2 day before the last surgery.  I am stuck in the house now because of the medication I have to take for nerve damage from the last surgery. I helps with the pain but wow it makes you "drunk" and very uncoordiated.  So driving is out of the question.  I was doing pretty good until yesterday and then the tears just came and no stopping them.  I dont know if it is my body adjusting to one ovary or the fact that if I have to look at this walls anymore I am going to go crazy.  Just wondering if any of you ladies have gone through this.  I am already on zoloft and this new medication for the nerve damage is actually being reasearch for depression so dont think further chemicals are going to help. Thanks to all.  Terri
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hey terri, medication is great and all, but have you talked to anyone, like a social worker or therapist? staying in the house can be very very depressing. let alone the medical stuff. i'm still in the process of finding if i have ovca. i have a second opinion scheduled on the 15th. i thought i was doing fine, and then last sunday at church i just lost it, crying, sweating the whole thing. my husband just held me. i guess i just needed to cry. unfortunatly we can't always choose when it hits us. if you feel that this is more then just 'the blues' please contact your doctor or social worker, they can have someone come to your home if you are unable to drive, or they may have a pickup service that can come to your home and pick you up for an appt. let us know what happens you're in my prayers
Helpful - 0
Oh I am so sorry that you are having to play to wait ans wonder game that sure can be the hardest.  You are in my thoughts.  Since this all started yesterday I am hoping it is just the typical blues but if it continues I will diffently seek some help. Just think I have been cooped up way too long.  Thanks for your post.  Terri
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Wow, after everything you have been through, now this.  Hopefully it is just a hormonal surge that is causing this and once everything is back on track it will go away.  It really sucks canal water when you are stuck in the house like that.  Don't worry, we are here for you anytime you need us!!
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Oh hon, I am so sorry you are going through this.  I know it doesn't help, but I DO know what you are going through.  I am getting very down and depressed just thinking about the fact that I need another surgery just 3 months after my last major one.  This will be my 10th abdominal surgery( most of them for ovarian remnant syndrome) and I am putting it off because I CAN'T go through the surgery and recovery time again right now.
I know just talking to someone does help.  Someone who understands what you are going through.  Have a friend come by and pick you up and take you to lunch, or just sit and have coffee and talk.  You can't sit there alone and stare at the same four walls day in and day out.  
I will say a prayer for you, sis.  I will pray for your healing, happiness and strength.
Luv, Dawn
Helpful - 0
Sending a big *hug* your way! After my last two surgeries (unrelated to my cyst), I was stuck on rest and home with no driving (couldn't anyway, with my right leg wrapped from ankle to thigh and unable to bend my knee). Daytime TV sucks, you can only watch so many movies or read so many books before going insane. Only thing that made it bearable were my cats (they were at least a little company). So I started asking friends if they would drive me around if I gave them gas money, just to get out of the house.
Hang in there.... it will improve!
Helpful - 0
I am sorry to hear you are feeling down in the dumps.  I have been feeling that way a bit, too.  I am 3 weeks RS, I am crawling out of my skin, and I feel like I could scratch someone's eyes out.  I screamed and ranted at my 6 yr old this morning because he told me he was tired and didn't want to get up. I told him he had no right to be tired (ah, hello, I am arguing with a 6 yr old...aahh!).  I am a doer and fixer.  I am not one to be helped or sit around doing just about nothing.  It IS depressing, but I have to keep telling myself that it won't be too much longer.  After all is said and done, hopefully we will all be emerging as better people.  We deserve it!  We have all been through our own living &%$* , and we deserve to feel just as good as anyone else.  I look forward to the day that I can get in my car and drive, even if I have no where to go.  It seems like an eternity, but I know it is realistically right around the corner :)  Argh....., hormones suck!!  Okay, I feel better now :)
Helpful - 0
thanks to everyone. I am sure what I am going through is normal for all of us.  Just had a little crack in the strenght I think. As far as having a friend come get me well dont really have any.  Oh dont feel sorry for me that has been my chioce through out the years, for I have dove head first into my job and family for 15 years and working 25 hour shifts can make it hard to maintain friends. However, I must say that I do find it sad that none of my co-workers of 10 years have even bothered to pick up a phone in 3 months to say hi or check how I am doing. Well, there is one and she has been out for 4 months with a neck injury and no one has called her either, she has been there for over 20 years (sad huh). And occording to my boss man I am the one employee that everyone loves.  HaHa. This is (was my second family) and must say I am regreating putting so much energy into it. My mother has always been my best friend, and the love between us is most wonderful and I would never take that for granite.  She does not live near by anymore but maybe I will take this time to go visit her. Dad said he would come get me and drive me to her. Should proabably do that to change scenery. She lives at the beach...hmmm not so bad. LOL. Again thanks to all who have resonded...just a litte self pitty and we all know that is a wasted emotion, so I will lift my head up high and just be grateful that I am well enough to feel trapped where as some many others are too sick to even feel that. To feel like this I must be on the road to recovery.  LOL
Luvs all of ya thanks,
Terri
Helpful - 0
I also take Zoloft and have for the past 4 years.I couldn't cope without it. Maybe the doctor can up your dosage.I take 200 mg per day and thats the max.When I started menopause my depression was so bad. I was off the whole summer and didn't want to crawl out of bed.Also found a great therapist that I still go to once a month. Its great to have a sounding board and see things in a different light.Rememeber these med;s take at least 3 to 4 weeks to work so if your not on it that long give it a little more time or speak with your doctor about increasing dose.
Hang in there
Linda
Helpful - 0
Oh thanks for the information.  I have been on the zoloft for about a year and half but I only take 50mg. If this continues then I will call the doctor and see about increasing the dosage, did not realize I was on such a low dose.
Thanks terri
Helpful - 0
I am a psychotherapist and I am in no way suprised that people would get depressed with dealing with these things. I practically have developed an anxiety disoder over it. As if the mental pain is not enough, ovaries really can mess with your hormones, which can lead to more biologically based depression and anxiety. Even though the sadness and stress can seem unbearable, I think it is an understandable response to these types of situations.
Helpful - 0
Hey girl!  Enjoy your time off of work!  I was out of work for 4 weeks when I had a dermoid removed in March.  I don't have any children yet, so I was about ready to go crazy staying at home.  Have you tried taking b12 for your moodiness/depression?  It really does work.  Email me at healthy4life at comcast dot net and I'll send you some great information about it.  It's been a lifesaver in our home and has more benefits linked to it than just for moodiness.  It's great.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.