Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

?blood pressure med's

This is trivial compared to what a lot of you are going thru.  When I was having my pre-adm appt. one of the docs put me on blood pressure medication.  He told me it may cause me to retain fluid which is something I already take meds for.  I could see a bit more fluid but in the last week and 1/2 I have gained over 10lbs.  Some is in my ankles but I think the rest is in my abd.  I have never had any ascites so this is really anoying me.  I have been trying to get some weight off before my surgery so this definitely does not help.  Any one else run into this?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Sounds to me as if your doc needs to add a diuretic to your BP meds....it would probably be a good idea for you to call and advise him of your situation...the fluid retention will eliminate any benefit you might get from the new meds for high blood pressure.
Peace.
dian
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I agree with dian, call your dr. and let him know what is going on.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Hello hun, Do talk with you docotor. Fluid retention will do nothing for your BP.  There are many anti-hypertensive medications out there that acutally have diaretics incorperated into them.  The one you are on my not be the one for you..but if livertans  means livertransplant then they may want you on a liver safe medication. Just my 2 cents worth LOL. Good lucky and you are in my thoughts.
Terri
Helpful - 0
Thanks for all the responses. I am already on two diretics because of my decreased liver function.  I questioned the doctor that presribed this blood pressure one about any harm to my liver.  He assured me that it would not hurt my liver, anymore, but that I would probably retain fluid.  He checked my ankles to see what I was retaining already.(Not much but some).  My blood pressure is  somewhat lower.  I saw my doctor on  Tuesday to check the blood pressure but the fluid retention started after that.  I check my pressure at home also.  We are so short of docs in town that you can not call and talk to your family doctor.  Since I have such a complicated medical history I don't like to go to the walk in clinics.  If I am still retaining I will talk to his office and find out when he has walk in again.  Local docs take turns working at it. Definitely if my blood pressure shoots up I will go to emerg.  I just don't want to get into ascites when I have avoided it so far.  The real kicker is when I have my ovarian surgery the anesthetic my cause decreased liver function( for a few days) and fluid retention.  Can you say "Free Willy".  I should look like a beached whale by that point.Thanks again
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.