Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

medication stopped before possible surgery

hi all, all mums medication stopped yesterday before possible surgery, goes to see surgeon next friday, consultant said most medication is phsycological is this true?, she has been up most of the night feeling poorly and as if she couldnt breathe, she has sore throat, and stuffed up nose, and is totally whacked, and pains in tummy, surely this isnt all phsycological, surely you still need medication when you have advanced oc, does anyone have any advice or shed any light on this subject please? love to all you wonderful ladies dealing with all these similar problems xx
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hi, i thought you must have been having a blonde moment lol, i do all the time, i will let you know how mum gets on, take care xx
Helpful - 0
Yes, that last post was indeed directed to you, not Nikki! Must have been a brain glitch there.  Anyway, please do let us know what the doctor says next week.
Helpful - 0
I am going to interpret this news as a good sign.   Pain medications can cause complication with surgical anesthesia, and can greatly increase the chances of having a serious (read, "deadly) complication during surgery or recovery.  I have learned enough to know that when doctors do not really intend to perform surgery, or do not expect a patient to live long after surgery, then they do not much care about the effects and allow the patient to continue on with the medication.   So, it may very well be that the doctor intends to perform surgery, and expects a good outcome from the surgery, and thus wants your mother as free of the pain medications as possible.   A similar issue comes with the chemo, in that chemotherapeutic agents, and the adjunct medications, can cause increased bleeding, or interfer with clotting, or retard healing afterwards.   These issues could explain why the chemo was stopped as well.

I wish your mother well, and hope she can manage through to the appointment with the surgeon.  BUT if she is in pain, then she should have the pain medication, and all of this can be discussed with the doctor later.  There is a quality of life to be maintained.
Helpful - 0
hi, thanks so much for your post, that puts our minds at rest, xx
Helpful - 0
hi, thanks for your reply, they stopped every one of mums tablets incl. pain relief, and stopped yesterdays chemo, but she has quite bad pains in her tummy, so weve been and got some quick relief pills for her, but doctors  dont really want her to have them until she really needs them, but its ok for them to say that its not him whos got these awful pains is it? they confuse you and you dont know what to do for the best. xxx
Helpful - 0
Was it pain medication that was stopped? If I do not take the 20mg of my pain med before I go to bed, I toss & turn than I get up and pace the floor. Almost feels like going out of your skin. I guess that withdrawals. You would think they would keep your mum on something to keep her comfortable till surgery. Call the doctor today and make him call something in if she has a bad day. Sending a big hug(:) and prayer to you all.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.