Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

2 large masses and ovca

Do gyn/onc always tell you that it is most likely cancer and then it's most often benign?  Just wondering what others have experienced w/this.  They have me thinking the worst and I know what you all say about 90% or 99% benign, but why don't the drs. say that? The gyn/onc even mentioned talking about treatment and I haven't even had surgery yet.  Has anyone w/large masses (20 cm) and very little free fluid been diagnosed w/ovca?
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
135691 tn?1271097123
I had 3 large tumors and no fluid in my abdomen and had stage 3c ovarian cancer. I had the opposite of you though - I had all my Dr's telling me it wasn't cancer. I really wish someone would have put the thought more out in the open - then maybe it would have been so much easier for me to handle waking up from surgery with an unexpected hysterectomy and cancer. Expect the worst and hope for the best - that way, when it does come back as good news, you can just be happy and if it's not such good news, then you may feel a little prepared. I'm sure you will be fine - Your Dr's sound like they are being cautious and thorough with you. That's just my opinion. I know it really does pay in the end to be optimistic though, so do what you feel comfortable doing. Best of luck - I'm sure you will be fine.
Helpful - 0
Drs don't know for sure until they remove the cysts and do a biopsy.  They're basing their statements on their best guess based on their past experience.

My mom was told by her gyn and gyn/onc that they were 80% sure it wasn't cancer -- turns out it was Stage 3.  

On the other hand, my dr had a patient that she and the gyn were sure had cancer -- surgery revealed an abscess instead, in a woman who had no reason to have an abscess.

I wish I had better news.  Like others said, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  Mr drs are telling me that my mass "doesn't smell like cancer, but don't take that to the bank."

When my mom woke up from surgery she was stunned for weeks.  She said, "I was so sure I would eventually die of a heart attack."  I said, "Hey, if that's your goal you still can!"  It's been over 2 years and mom is here, in remission and feeling good.

Helpful - 0
I completely agree, prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. I prepared for my surgery with a regular gyn, when my ca 125 came back elevated, she said I won't do it. So on to the gyn/onc. I never asked him if he thought it was cancer, only if there was a possibility that it wasn't, he said "sure its possible"  I would have been devistated had I not prepared for the worst.  Thank god it was benign. Good Luck to you,  Shari
Helpful - 0

My doc said that any and every ovarian mass/tumor/cyst/growth is suspected of being malignant until proven otherwise through biopsy during the actual surgery. This is especially true if the woman concerned is over 40.

Even though the radiologist finally said about my MRIs and CAT-scans that he thought the mass was 'probably a mucinous cystadenoma,' my surgeon STILL discussed with me in detail what would happen in the OR should the mass turn out to be cancer (debulking, lymphectomy, total hysterectomy, staging, etc.), and also mentioned the current OVCA chemotherapy treatments.

That way I went into surgery hopeful, but still prepared to hear less positive news. I think my doctor did exactly the right thing in preparing me for the worst, while allowing me to hope for the best (to steal words out of the posts of others, LOL).

Things will be good. Keep the faith.
Annette
Helpful - 0
Wow, thanks for the comments, it helps me understand more now. I thought you had to have free fluid for it to be cancer.  What kind of prognosis do they give you if it is cancer?  On my pink sheet from the onc visit, they checked off "pelvic mass" and what looks like "counseling for ovca lv 5" using their codes. Is that stage 5?

The only thing is, the onc just wants to do total hysterectomy.  It was suggested to me by someone else that I could ask him to do frozen section of 1 ovary and if no cancer, then keep other ovary, removing only cyst/mass/tumor whatever it is and keep uterus but do d&c. I sent him my latest mri and explained that and then asked if he really thinks cancer and my life is very short (would't it be if 5?) then I would prefer to die w/out going through surgery.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Wow, you are a very brave woman!  A dr. cannot tell you definitely that it is or is not cancer without performing pathology on the mass, tumor or cyst.  Doing so would be very stupid on the part of the dr.  I think that you are wise to request the frozen section and the actions to be taken.  You are very wise and have done your homework.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.